KiwiSDR 2 production status

13ยป

Comments

• Dear jks guru,

All good things will come as promised, thank you. ๐Ÿ˜„

• Glad to hear, and thank you for posting an update.

• I emailed about being interested in buying but never got a response :(

• @Gibsonmb I've been getting hundreds of emails, so haven't been responding to each one individually unless there was a specific question. But I do see your original request from Jan 30 plus the one you sent last night (my time). So you're definitely on the email notification list.

• jksjks
    edited March 4

Shipping of the first run is now complete (4 March).

Email requests for the second build have been replied to. The online store is now open for ordering: kiwisdr.nz

We have already made a third production order with the manufacturer. So hopefully the delay will be short if you miss out on the second build. But the parts have not been secured yet which is always a wildcard.

Note that this has been financed by plowing all of the profits back into production. I have personally not taken one cent out of the venture. In fact I am currently down 5-digits in development costs, lol

But it's okay. We've been here before. Besides, it's not about the money. It's about the love of the shortwaves..

• Received my two units, thanks! Couple of observations:

1) One of the units had the CPU board nearly disconnected (apparently due to heavy DHL handling). It was just opening the cover and pressing the board to the connector, but it is worth checking with every unit when receiving.

2) I would appreciate a more RF-tight enclosure..at least the RF deck connectors could be connected to the enclosure.

—Kauto OH2LFM

• jksjks
    edited March 3

1) That's somewhat surprising. Those Beagle header connectors have a fair amount of captive force.

2) We went round and round about that. Grounding the SMAs was found to raise the noise floor. Same as with Kiwi-1. Time is better spent dealing with common mode noise on the power, Ethernet and antenna leads.

• Also note that we got the case manufacturer to mask off the powder coating in areas where the two case pieces join. And where the metal standoffs are attached to the base. So while this is by no means any sort of RF gasketing, it's better than nothing.

• jksjks
    edited March 5

We just received a batch of cables: 1m USB-A to 2.1mm circular DC plug. Now there is an option on the store to include one cable at order time. Please only do so if you actually need the cable. There is no charge for this.

These cables won't have the "brownout" problems of cables using too small a wire gauge. Use them with a low-noise switch-mode (SMPS) USB power cubes like one of the old Apple two Amp ones.

For the current production run #2 orders that haven't shipped yet (and where you weren't offered the option when you ordered) please email support@kiwisdr.com to request we include a cable with your shipment.

For production run #1 orders already shipped we recommend this cable from Adafruit Unfortunately we can't ship cables separately ourselves due to the shipping costs. Maybe someone can suggest a source in Europe and other regions.

Discussion about using low-noise SMPSs here: https://forum.kiwisdr.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3009/quiet-switch-mode-power-supply-smps-for-kiwisdr/p1

• We have received the Kiwi-2 boards from the second production run. However they will take 3-4 weeks to assemble, test and ship. The order queue is very long. So we ask for your patience.

Wait for shipping notification from Shopify/DHL. Please do not email us asking for shipping status. These emails are a huge distraction. We are very busy.

• jksjks
    edited April 16

Our https://kiwisdr.nz store is now open for orders.

We have pre-built quite a few units. And should be able to ship faster than with past builds.

Also note that ML&S UK https://hamradio.co.uk and WiMo DE https://wimo.com will have units in stock later this month or early next.

• Hello! I would like to ask if it is possible to ship to China, I don't see a Delivery option for China on kiwisdr.nz.

• There are many countries where I wouldn't consider hosting a KiWi for all sorts of reasons, and China is one of them.

To satisfy my own curiosity.

Is it possible, or even sensible (possible allegations of spying, or assisting an enemy state) to deploy a KiWi in mainland China ?

Depending upon the political setup in your specific area, is there not a potential risk to yourself, or your family, if you do this ?

Regards,

Martin

• The Chinese authorities do see the kiwi setup as spying, but I'm not going to make it public , just use it for myself.

It would be safe to keep it private.

• Hi Martin,

Once, I planned to install a kiwi at Chang-ning in Shanghai and wanna make it public on www (out of The Great Wall so to speak). However, several friends with cn call signs expressed this sort of attempt might not be so appropriate and possibly I shall be invited to have a cup of tea with someone. Roughly speaking if kiwi doesn't have GPS-relevant functions, the issue may not be so significant .

Imagine that, can it be illegal for someone holding a radio to stand on the rooftop of a building in Shanghai and listen to the SW broadcast? ๐Ÿ˜… Certainly not I thought.

• Ah OK, understood.

I just wanted to make sure you stayed safe.

Regards,

Martin

• jksjks
    edited April 16

I won't go into details, but we were told, in a very indirect way, that "new government policy" made the Kiwi "unwelcome" in China.

We were never told the precise details. Our best guess is that it has to do with the current spat between China and the Americans. And another "government policy" that no devices are allowed within China that send data to servers outside the country (just as the US didn't like Huawei devices allegedly sending data to China).

The Kiwi of course is optionally capable of this with its various built-in functions: my.kiwisdr.com, proxy service, public Kiwi listing, etc. that all need to exchange data with a server that happens to be currently located in California.

So the new entity KiwiSDR NZ (a New Zealand company) will not ship to mainland China. Simple as that.

I don't think there's anything more sinister going on. Certainly nothing about "spying". Some people love to play up their perceived notions of the importance of shortwave monitoring. But let's face it. It's 2024. Those days are over.

(As further proof of this: Remember when there were quite a number of Kiwis in mainland China on the rx.linkfanel.net map site? And how they all disappeared virtually overnight?)