impossible to access KIWI-BBG LINUX Deb 8.5 via PUTTY

HI, preface : my Linux conaissance is very very basic.

My KIWI ser 1680 is uptodate v 1.596.

In reading of the possible upgrade to Deb v10.x I was trying to acces the Linux part of my BBG-KIWI via PUTTY over wired LAN

to begin the steps written by JKS , but no way to enter neither as ROOT nor ADMIN using the password I know;

the connection via IP goes OFF after few tries.

I have never set a password to access BBG_Linux and the ADMIN_WEB access is OK;

I remember some years ago I entered the Linux OS to copy the config file just for learning purpose

and that time I entered without a password.

Any suggestion ?

Phil IC8POF

Comments

• can you access the console from the kiwi admin page?

• The Linux/Beagle root and debian account passwords are very likely to have been set to your Kiwi's serial number: 1680 or perhaps the Kiwi admin password. So try those.

This change happened in v1.354 https://forum.kiwisdr.com/discussion/1801/v1-354-security-improvements-debian-root-password-no-longer-unset-blank/p1

• HI es GM

ZKD : yes the console inside the web-browser-page opens ok : CONSOLE: open connection

root@kiwisdr:~/Beagle_SDR_GPS# 

JKS: access denied either admin passw or serial 1680

• in the PUTTY IP address field I write the KIWI's IP and the PUTTY port is 22 connection type:SSH

• just retried to access as ROOT with the serial number, but nothing ...

• Did you try with username debian?

• AWL, hallo just tried now username debian...no luck

• jksjks
    edited April 2023

Since you can still get a root shell using the Kiwi admin console tab, just use the Linux passwd command. Type it, the return key, and it will prompt you (twice) to enter a new root password. Use the Kiwi serial number.

With Debian 8 you should then be able to ssh/PuTTY to the Kiwi as root. For Debian 9 and greater you have to do more to enable root logins. But that's not the issue here.

• GE, JKS: tnx for the suggestion, it has worked ok, it was 2018 when I logged lasttime in HI.

Now ahead to read the further infos...