KiwiSDR 2 Debian updates

In the /admin console when I connect to the CLI console and run the commands:

sudo apt update
sudo apt list --upgradable

Shows a number of packages that can be upgraded. Does the nightly update process apply the updates? Or is that my responsibility?

Thanks

Comments

• Your responsibility. But be careful. We had plenty of trouble in the past (mostly with Debian 8) because people would jump the gun and update/upgrade before I had cleared it.

The problem wasn't with what Debian had done but rather with what the Beagle guys did between updates. Plenty of cases of Kiwis getting bricked, SD card backups being made that were unreadable etc. It was a real nightmare and a waste of time. Made me wish I had gone with an RTOS instead..

• Thank you.

• That being said, the current update seems to be safe.

But it doesn't work with 6.1 Kernels, there seem to be an issue with the overlay.

@jks Speaking of RTOS, I was wondering if you ever tried to run it on the beaglebone realtime kernel.

• jksjks
    edited April 29

What Beagle release is using Linux 6.1? I haven't seen that (but admittedly don't 100% keep up with what they're doing).

I thought about using PREEMPT_RT way back in 2014. But I didn't know anything about it. I figured if the entire project was predicated on it the chance of failure was high and it would have delayed the Kickstarter by a year or so. Im mean, were there any guarantees back then that stuff like Beagle I/O and networking would really be considered properly by PREEMPT_RT? I had no idea. Same reason I never wanted to write any device drivers.

It was far easier to just be the only process Linux was running and keep it out of my way. Worked pretty well so far and kept with the Kiwi philosophy of keeping things as simple and portable as possible.

• What Beagle release is using Linux 6.1?

Newer kernels for bullseye are available in the repository (up to 6.9rc) and seem to be booting, after manually installing the bootloader. But probably not meant to be used in a production environment.

• Okay. But history has shown that, at least in the case of the Kiwi, being on the bleeding edge of what the Beagle guys are doing w.r.t releases has no benefit and significant downside (consider the recent ssh/liblzma issue).

• edited April 29

I know, I'm even running debian stable on my desktop PC.

I had tried 6.1 in the hope that a WiFi driver would be fixed (which wasn't). In the stock 5.10 it does not support hardware encryption.