Second build has shipped. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

"...because you can't hear the small difference"

bg@zardos:~$ pip3 install cffi

Defaulting to user installation because normal site-packages is not writeable

Requirement already satisfied: cffi in ./.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages (1.15.1)

Requirement already satisfied: pycparser in ./.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages (from cffi) (2.21)

bg@zardos:~$ apt install libsamplerate

E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (13: Permission denied)

E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), are you root?

bg@zardos:~$ sudo su

[sudo] password for bg:

root@zardos:/home/bg# apt install libsamplerate

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree      

Reading state information... Done

E: Unable to locate package libsamplerate

root@zardos:/home/bg# apt install libsamplerate0

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree      

Reading state information... Done

libsamplerate0 is already the newest version (0.1.9-2).

libsamplerate0 set to manually installed.

0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.

bg@zardos:~$ cd kiwicl

bg@zardos:~/kiwicl$ make samplerate_build

See README file for complete build instructions.

python3 samplerate/samplerate_build.py

generating ./samplerate/_src.py

(already up-to-date)

bg@zardos:~/kiwicl$ make samplerate_test

pytest --capture=tee-sys samplerate/tests/test_samplerate.py

make: pytest: Command not found

make: *** [Makefile:215: samplerate_test] Error 127

bg@zardos:~/kiwicl$


麻卵煩!

Ubuntu 20.04.6

Comments

  • Python is a nice language. But they really screwed up with everything else. A complete dog's breakfast.

    I made some changes to the kiwiclient package. Update by doing a git pull -v or whatever. The README file now explains how to get pytest:

    apt install python-3 pytest

    or

    pip3 install pytest

    And if make samplerate_test doesn't find pytest try samplerate_test2 which asks Python to find pytest in a slightly different way.

    I tried all of this on Ubuntu 22.04.4 (under VirtualBox emulation) and it worked fine.

  • Not helping matters any is my obviously still not sufficient knowledge of all this Linux stuff.

    So, with ea17323 & pytest installed (so simple; me stupid... <repeat first paragraph here>), things got off to a spectacular start. And after an hour or so, the average DTs were converging on 0 (so at least I got the offset right for chrony - could never really be sure as the DTs have always been all over the place, depends on received signals that are themselves all over the place & everything I need to do it myself - or even measure with a 'scope - is in storage).

    The 0625 GMT daily KiwiSDR keelover came & went - as if nothing happened, just like when using a browser to present the audio... though with kiwiclient the keelover doesn't necessarily happen every day, it seemed like perhaps 24 hours later it might just be possible to celebrate.

    After ~7.5 hours, one machine was off on walkabout by nearly 2 sec. However, that machine is an ancient banger, so if the other one - an i5-4690 - continued to have DTs as nice & tight as when using a browser (or all my other SDRs on Windows machines) the celebration still seemed likely.

    And that continued to be the case when I woke up a little while ago (the banger had again kicked out of gear around 17 GMT, so for greater than 5 hours it was decoding hardly anything). I put the kettle on, came back with a cup of coffee - and found the better machine had just gone off on a ~2 sec walkabout after ~15 hours. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

    Having only recently stumbled on the WSPR folks' chatter from back around 2022-09 I guess it was about best practice requiring the use of a 66.66 Mc external reference to get precisely 12k out of the KiwiSDR - and now having tried the fixed libratesample - I now suspect using Kiwiclient-anything for anything serious beyond 2 minutes is impossible. Well, except TDoA.

    It is better than soxr-hq. And if there was a way to kick users that didn't require me manually doing it from admin, it wouldn't be quite so bad. All I want to do is stream the audio. And use it for something that does notice the small difference.

    The fixed libratesample does appear to handle the screwball KiwiSDR sample rate, but there's still something happening that screws it up... perhaps, as downloading the logs or the daily keelover seems to suggest, maybe due to the Beagle not "being there" intermittently as a result of being busy doing something else. Still not awake yet, so pondering how libratesample might handle the now-likely-not-to-be-correct resampling of 11998.9 to 48k reported when everything was started had best wait a while.

    73, VR2BG.

Sign In or Register to comment.