6781.5 WSPR

Someone is always parked on my Kiwi on this frequency.

Anyone know what's there?

Comments

• Is that a dial (display) frequency or a USB passband center frequency?

Martin has 10k DX labels in his Kiwis (e.g. wessex.zapto.org:8073), and 6783 (passband center, 6781.5 dial) is a DHFCS milcomm channel. Some people like to park on those channels and wait for the end-of-the-world (I guess).

• The 6MHz frequencies in that vicinity are a global ISM (Industrial, Scientific and Medical) allocation and are popular with folks operating low power unlicensed personal beacons. So it could be that someone is trying to listen for one of those, but it does seem unlikely.

What mode are they using, and what is their country IP ? Both of these may provide further clues.

It may be of course, that they have just parked on that frequency, and are zoomed fully out and using the waterfall and spectrum display to observe general signal levels and propagation conditions. I do this myself sometimes, but then generally focus on specific ranges of frequencies to monitor.

If it is a problem, set the KiWi inactivity limits to be a bit shorter, as sometimes folks just leave the KiWi browser tab running, even if they are using it for something else.

I tend to use my KiWi DX tabs as my own personal logbook, and add stuff that I hear when I hear it, which is why it contains so many entries. It helps me ID what I've already heard, and to pick out unidentified signals when they appear, especially the many new wideband digital modes that frequent outside (and sometimes inside) the amateur bands.

Regards,

Martin