Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

v1.518: Mobile, spectrum, QAM, admin improvements

From the CHANGE_LOG file:

v1.517 May 3, 2022

Made spectrum color bar mode run as fast as "slow dev" mode. Left slow dev button in for now

even though there's no reason for it anymore.

Added frequency to spectrum display dBm tooltip (thanks Martin).

Swapped C-QUAM AM stereo L/R channels based on a forum report (thanks nitroengine).

More mobile issues fixed.

v1.516 May 2, 2022

Fixed problem on Android < 8.1 where tap on frequency box brings up number entry pad

then immediately closes it again so you're unable to enter a frequency.

Fixed other mobile issues.

Admin page, connect tab: Prevent entry of a local IP address into "Domain Name" or

"Specified IP" fields. This should prevent entries on rx.kiwisdr.com that are unreachable

because their links contain local IP addresses.

Comments

• v1.517 May 3, 2022

Made spectrum color bar mode run as fast as "slow dev" mode. Left slow dev button in for now

even though there's no reason for it anymore.

Hi John,

Thanks for the latest updates, much appreciated.

I must admit that I prefer using the 'slow dev' mode for the spectrum display as I tend to also use the peak hold feature a lot, and I find that the contrast between the yellow peak hold line and cyan spectrum is much easier to see than when using the rainbow version.

Maybe separate colour options for the waterfall and spectrum displays would be desirable. In fact maybe separate configuration windows for each would tidy up the control panel ?

Perhaps combine the users and stats menus by listing the users at the top and scroll down to see the stats, as this generally only needs to be seen for diagnostic purposes ?

I like the new last used frequency / memory function, however it doesn't seem to be working in v1.517.

WRT this feature, would it be possible to not close the 'pop out' list when a frequency is selected, Maybe only get it to close when the cursor is moved away. I don't think there is a need to click on a frequency in the list to tune to it. If it was only necessary to mouse over the frequencies, it would then be possible to quickly tune to each one in turn (without updating the list). The list would only be updated when a 'manual' tune is initiated either by DX tag, direct frequency entry or clicking on the waterfall or spectrum display. This would allow the user to very quickly check for activity on previously tuned to frequencies, and once an active frequency from the list is found, moving the mouse away would stay on the tuned frequency and close the pop out menu / frequency list. This sort of function is especially useful (like the A/B vfo) when trying to determine paired (duplex) frequencies, or identify the same transmission on multiple frequencies.

Some other minor cosmetic observations (please ignore if you don't agree).

The new larger frequency display. would it be possible to right justify the numbers, so that when you swap over decimal boundaries, the position of the decimal point does not move ?

The audio control panel layout now looks a bit messy in comparison to the others. Maybe the noise reduction controls should be treated as an extension ?

I think that the signal strength / S-meter would be better placed at the top of the control panel, as along with the tuned frequency and mode, it's probably looked at more often than many of the other controls, which tend to remail static once set, plus with some windows configurations is sometimes masked by the bottom Windows Icon bar.

These are just my thoughts and suggestions, I don't know what others think, but I'm happy to go along with your decisions or general consensus.

All of the recent chnages have made what was already an excellent receiver even better, and I'm very appreciative of all the hard work and commitment you have put into this project. Your enthusiasm and willingness to consider both user and admin's suggestions, despite (at times) very difficult challenges is to be commended.

I definitely consider that my KiWi purchases have been the best overall value and most fun, above just about every radio related product I have ever bought, and there have been a LOT of those...

Thanks again,

Martin

• Thanks for new releases John.

The last used frequency "hamburger" doesn't work here anymore since update to 517.

Tested under Firefox, Chrome and Edge.

• I can also confirm the "hamburger" not working .517. Edge Version 101.0.1210.32 (Official build) (64-bit)

Pekka

• Should be fixed in v1.518

• QSL !

The "hamburger" shows the most recent entries again.

Many thanks for upgrade,

73 Arno

• what the heck is a hamburger icon?

• jksjks
    edited May 2022

@WA2ZKD I wondered that too, since I think of the "3-horizontal-bar" icon looks like a user interface menu list. But others decided it reminded them of a stacked "hamburger", lol.

• As far as I know, "hamburger" is a fairly common jargon term for menu icons of this type. ;-)