Debian 8.x (Jessie) to 10.11 (Buster) upgrade for Kiwis using BeagleBone Green/Black

124»

Comments

• edited February 5

I am upgrading my Kiwi in Thailand now. Everything went fine up to step 3.

I have found it's serial no in the network screen. But with: "ssh debian@192.168.0.104" (which is confirmed as my Kiwi's local ip), it's serial no is NOT any longer accepted as the password (the serial no was accepted at the earlier steps, when I started with this). Because of this I am not able to restore the old config files from my backup ssd (with debian 8.5) which I made before I started.

Is there a way around this?

• jksjks
    edited February 5

The debian account password might still be the default temppwd or the Kiwi admin password.

• edited February 5

Update tab:

Installed version: v1.661, built Feb 5 2024 06:27:07

Running most current version

Should I just wait a bit more then?

I came in with temppwd 😊

• Re-flashing from the Debian 10 sd card, that has v1.486 on it, should have default account passwords. And v1.486 (or v1.661 for that matter) should have detected this and changed the passwords to the serial number. Don't know why that wouldn't have happened..

• I'll wait a bit and see if it updates. If not, I can try booting from the deb.10, 1.486 card again.

If none of the above will work, perhaps I should try making a new image on the 1.486 card again.

• v1.661 is the most recent version. But does the admin status tab say you're now on Debian 10?

• edited February 5

Yes:

KiwiSDR 1, v1.661, 4 SDR channels, 12 GPS channels | Uptime: 0:08:47 | UTC: 09:17 | Local: 16:17 Asia/Bangkok (ICT)

Debian 10.11

GPS: acquire pause, track 0, good 0, fixes 0 --- (Note: ok, antenna and gps not connected)

SNR: All 2 dB, HF 2 dB

Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:122.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/122.0

I also got a "communication error" when I tried to upload a new photo file. That I haven't seen before.

Photo fileUploading...

Communication error

Perhaps my debian has gotten corrupt somehow.

Right now I am trying a forced (normally unnecessary) "upgrade" from v1.661 to v1.661 to see if that fixes things. If not, I think I need to make a new debian 10.11 image (flash the card again) and scrap the old 10.11 one.

Update: The "communication error", photo problem fixed itself. Kiwi is online now with the correct config files and a new photo file, but the temppwd is still needed on ssh. For now I let it run as this.

• jks,

Yesterday I was going to try and download an image again, and was having difficulty locating the correct image. In the past it would not upgrade from the 1.2 version, but you did mention that you fixed that, so I decided to give it a try. I let it sit overnight and the next day I discovered that it did upgrade by itself. it is now running 1.665, Debian 8.5.

• Yes, there was a period of time after the Debian guys moved Debian 8 onto the "archive" repo servers that v1.2 got stuck trying to update. I thought all was lost until I figured out that /etc/apt/sources.list needed to be updated (the Kiwi Makefile now does this for D7/8/9). A lot of this stuff I don't understand very well..

• Thank you for your help.