MIni Enhancement on the new S meter

I have a very simple enhancement idea to propose for the S meter tracer . A button to download all the tracing info in CSV mode as SDR programs do for the frequency of reception. I also think that it can be better to remove smoothing checkbox as the result is rather unreal
Is it easy?
I also like very much the new change with the powers of 1/2 instead of 1/1-1/10 BUt could it be with levels beween 8Hz to 1/512? This can be good to show any riples can cause by co channel QRM
Thanks!

A person who loves signal history

Comments

• While it's being tweaked, an option for markers out to 1/hour or less frequent would be great.
    It's fascinating to watch thunderstorm level and perhaps even galactic center noise floors!
    HB9TMC
  • edited July 2019
    Yes it can be an excellent idea

Please see also my post with fading screeshots !!
    https://zliangaslogs.blogspot.com/2019/06/quite-unusual-b-loglisting-with-k-sdrs.html
    and https://zliangaslogs.blogspot.com/2019/06/various-systems-as-you-will-see-in.html
    or
    https://app.box.com/s/dxnwtvuh0li6z1i35ige5o7e6g2ez14j for a joint PDF made in a frinds computer.
    Im expecting replies if something is missing from my comments,
  • I'd also like to support zachliang's request to be able to download S-Meter readings as a CSV file.

I've been experimenting with antennas (again) and the ability to process the data off-line would be very useful., I know I could now use kiwirecorder.py, but this would be a lot easier and quicker for casual testing.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • Definitely in favour. A feature to export S-meter readings would also be helpful for propagation studies.

Thanks, Claire
  • Thinking about this a bit further.

In order to be able to plot propagation maps with results from several KiWi's it would be necessary to be able to gather up to at least 24hrs of data with UTC time stamps and GPS co-ordinates.

I'm not a software guy, so I guess this is why I prefer using the S-Meter extension, but maybe I should make the effort to learn how to use kiwirecorder.py as this would seem to be a better option, especially if it can obtain the GPS location data from each KiWi ?

Can anyone point me to a quick how to get started guide or notes for kiwirecorder.py (or whatever is required to do what I'm thinking).

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • edited July 2019
    Martin,
    I carved up a script we were using for automated noise measurement so that I could measure a start:step:stop or a list of interesting frequencies as part of examining IMD terms on a kiwi. Attached.
    It might not be exactly what you want e.g. if you want to park on a single frequency, but you should be able to adapt it pretty easily.
    I'm not a 'software guy' either. Caveat emptor.

[File Attach FAILED, see below]
  • Darn, file attach didn't work. Here it is in-line:

#!/bin/bash
    ### This bash script to sweep a kiwi and report S-meter reading
    ### steps through the set frequencies
    ### and stores the results, timestamped, in a file whose name is passed as an argument when calling the script
    ### Dependencies: Needs kiwiclient directory with kiwirecorder.py
    ### Version 1.0 May 2019 Script from Gwyn Griffiths G3ZIL hacked for WB7ABP by N6GN
    ### Version 1.1 throw away initial measurement after frequency (or other?) change. It's bogus. Remove delays
    #
    #if [$# lt 1]
    # then
    # echo "no argument"
    #fi
    #
    #3echo "This script needs a single argument, the output file name with a csv extension, e.g. test_22_May_2019.csv"
    VERBOSITY=1 # set 1 for test mode, otherwise 0
    # say where kiwirecorder is on this host
    KR='python /home/ge/kr_test/kiwiclient-master/kiwirecorder.py'

# set the start, stop and increments for the test frequencies, could also be an array e.g. for wspr bands, revisit
    START=12000
    INC=50
    STOP=16000
    # quiet ? spots
    LIST="60 400 560 600 760 1060 1360 2500 5000 10000 15000 20000 25000 28000 29950"
    #LIST={$START..$STOP..$INC}
    # one frequency point with 2 averages takes about 1 sec, 10 averages ~2 sec and 100 takes ~20 seconds.
    AVERAGES=10

# target KiwiSDR
    HOST=10.0.0.77
    PORT=8074

# write header to the csv file, with names on one line, units on the other
    DATE=`date --utc "+%Y/%m/%d %H:%M"`
    echo "Measuring, $HOST, $PORT, on, $DATE" >> $1
    echo " Frequency, S Meter" >> $1
    echo " kHz, dBm " >> $1

#for i in `seq $START $INC $STOP`
    for i in $LIST
    do
    echo "acquire data for $i kHz"
    # set to 10kHz bandwidth
    OFF=`$KR -s $HOST -p $PORT -f $i m iq -L -5000 -H 5000 --s-meter 1` # discard, first reading is bogus !!!!
    OFF=`$KR -s $HOST -p $PORT -f $i m iq -L -5000 -H 5000 --s-meter $AVERAGES`
    # strip off the leading "RSSI:"
    Smeter=$(awk -F: '$0=$2' <<<"$OFF")
    if [ $VERBOSITY == "1" ]; then
    echo "Level was $Smeter dBm"
    fi
    #
    # write data to the file
    # get the date and time in UTC
    # DATE=`date --utc "+%Y/%m/%d %H:%M"`
    # echo "$DATE,$i,$Smeter" >> $1
    echo "$i,$Smeter" >> $1
    done

echo "Finished sweep"

echo $LIST
    KA7U
  • Hi Glenn,

Thanks for taking the time to do this for me.

I'll work my way thorough it and try and get it running.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ