kiwi not appearing on Sdr.hu

Hello,
I am a new user had the kiwi little under a week now and managed to set it up and i can connect from my PC's and laptop fine. My problem is that its not showing up on SDR.hu.
im pretty sure this topic has been covered on the forum more than a dozen times, i have read a few posts but have not found a solution as some of this networking/streaming stuff is a bit far beyond my little brain. Any assistance would be highly appreciated as this would be a new country on the sdr.hu map (Kuwait).

Config: v1.283, 4 SDR channels, 12 GPS channels | Uptime: 4:06:35
GPS acquire yes, track 5, good 4, fixes 7.1k, ADC clock 66.666536 (7.1k avgs)

From the Connect tab:
I have decided to go with the "Reverse Proxy" method as i do not have a "Domain Name" , "DUC" (no idea what that is). The registration with sdr.hu is done and API key was placed and hostname set.
"Status:Reverse proxy enabled and running"

From Webpage tab:
all information is set and grid square also.

From Sdr.hu Tab:
Register your KiwiSDR on sdr.hu? YES

sdr.hu registration status:SUCCESS (update)

Grid square / Location (lat, lon) set from GPS
API key set

From Network Tab:
Internal port / External port both 8073

Public IP address (outside your firewall/router): 37.38.56.72 [port 8073]
Private IP address (inside your firewall/router): 192.168.8.143 [port 8073]

Check if your external router port is open:
Does kiwisdr.com successfully connect to your Kiwi using these URLs?
If both respond "NO" then check the NAT port mapping on your router.
If first responds "NO" and second "YES" then domain name of first isn't resolving to the ip address of the second. Check DNS.
http://9k.proxy.kiwisdr.com:8073 :YES
http://37.38.56.72:8073 :NO
TODO: throttle #chan MB/dy GB/mo, hostname

and the Log tab does not seem to show any errors.

i am using a Huawei B618s , logged on it to check the settings but when it comes to networking i am lost. the reason i have chosen the reverse proxy is that the ISP wants to charge for a static i.p or that is what i understood from the hocus pocus the was on about on the phone.

so i am not even close to understanding what i am doing wrong in words of getting this amazing little receiver on sdr.hu.

cheers

Comments

• jksjks
    edited April 2019
    Well, I don't understand how you could have seen the "Status: Reverse proxy enabled and running" message. Because I don't have your API key in the proxy database and so the proxy server wouldn't have been enabled for your "9k" hostname. You should have received an error message when you clicked the "click to (re)register" button telling you to email me your API key.

Anyway, I have entered it in the database now. So try clicking the "click to (re)register" button again and see what you get.

You also should not have gotten the "http://9k.proxy.kiwisdr.com:8073 : YES" response to the open port check. Did you try all this while configured using some other API key? It makes no sense.

Setting up a DDNS/DUC is actually a better way to go if your only problem is lack of a static ip. It keeps you independent of proxy.kiwisdr.com in case it fails, etc. But it is a lot more effort to setup compared to the proxy. The other reason for using a proxy is if you can't figure out how to open port 8073 on your router although sometime that can be done automatically by turning on the "Auto add NAT rule" option on the network admin tab. Network administration is unfortunately somewhat complicated..
  • edited April 2019
    So the ISP makes money from static IP... They might block access to incomming ports too unless you go for the static IP.

Assuming you have opened the port 8073 on the router, and directed it to the right internal IP, then see if the ISP provides access to an ISP firewall, or settings to open ports (most often used for games).
    Here in the UK some ISP's provide a firewall but the user can opt to turn it down, or off completely.
    We need to find out if the port is actually open on the router, and forwarded to the right device.
    portforward.com is a good reference for the router.

Stu
  • jksjks
    edited April 2019
    No. The proxy database had no record of that API ever being authorized. That is the fundamental issue.
  • Was typing, not reading, sorry.
    Actually the posts don't always show for me unless I do a couple of refreshes.
  • Hello jks & Powernumpty,
    thanx for your responses...

Jks
    "Status: Reverse proxy enabled and running"

i have attached a screen shot with this post if you would like to have a look at the status. Also, the unique API Key was received via email from sdr.hu (an auto generated message)

"" You should have received an error message when you clicked the "click to (re)register" button telling you to email me your API key"" ,

i apologise i did not see any error message of any kind

"" You also should not have gotten the "http://9k.proxy.kiwisdr.com:8073 : YES" response to the open port check. Did you try all this while configured using some other API key? It makes no sense""

i know only the API key that was sent to me via email and not aware of any other

"" Setting up a DDNS/DUC is actually a better way to go if your only problem is lack of a static ip. It keeps you independent of proxy.kiwisdr.com in case it fails, etc. But it is a lot more effort to setup compared to the proxy""

yes sounds like the effort is way beyond my understanding, but i am willing to give it a try if someone would be kind enough to walk me through it.

"" that can be done automatically by turning on the "Auto add NAT rule"

i did select the NAT rule option on the network tab, but i believe i had to restart the beagle/kiwi and if i recall correctly there was an error message about it i cant remember what it stated.

Powernumpty,
    So the ISP makes money from static IP... They might block access to incomming ports too unless you go for the static IP

yes i recall setting up some home security cameras a few years ago and it was something similar i.e pay for a static i.p

all in all i am at a complete loss, any ideas on what to do or where to go from here?

cheers

Attachments:
    https://forum.kiwisdr.com/uploads/Uploader/6e/ee4aa99c31b25ceeed596461c8acd4.jpg
  • Jks,

"" So try clicking the "click to (re)register" button again and see what you get""

sorry i just saw that part of your message and i clicked
  • JKS,

:) i believe it is working fine now and online on sdr.hu after i clicked the (re) register button

thank you so much for your help guys
  • It's somewhat confusing, but receiving an API key from sdr.hu is necessary, but not sufficient, for use with the proxy. I still have to enter it manually. Otherwise the proxy service is open to unlimited (ab)use.

Of course registering on sdr.hu is completely independent of the using proxy. They just share API keys as a simplification of the authentication.
  • Jks,
    thanx for your help, i am really pleased with the outcome and hopefully in the upcoming months will be looking at setting up a permanent kiwisdr at the radio club with a better antenna setup.