kiwirecorder.py crashes

13»

Comments

• I recently learned about something I'd never heard of before: A mechanism to create a virtual Python environment (sandbox) so you can install packages and generally break things without disturbing your base Python installation. Maybe this is of some use here. It is described in the install instructions for MapProxy: https://mapproxy.org/docs/nightly/install.html
  • put wsprd in /usr/bin git clone kiwiclient and then go into ./kiwiclient/tools and run kiwiwspr.sh Rob can confirm, but I beleive it's that simple
  • edited October 2018
    Here is the installation as I would do it:
    0) If there is a previous installation running, stop the daemon and jobs with '-w z' followed by '-j z', then save the directory away, i.e. rename it (DONT'T DELETE IF YOU WANT TO RUN THE SAME CONFIGURATION)
    1) As a normal user (NOT ROOT!), create ~/kiwiwspr (use that name, don't create a directory with a new name or your dameon running your new version won't start after boot)
    2) If there was a previous running installation, copy kiwiwspr.conf from the previous installation into the new ~/kiwiwspr directory
    3) Run ./kiwiwspr.sh -w a
    kiwiwspr depends upon: the linux 'bc' command, wsprd from WSJT-x, and kiwirecorder from github and will instruct the user on how to install them if they are missing
    bc and wsprd haven't changed, but kiwirecorder has been improved over the last few weeks, so currently it is a good idea to get a fresh copy of it

Those steps seem fairly stable on Pis, but other OS environments almost certainly encounter challenges.
  • edited October 2018
    I think that far down the install is OK I'm thinking about the minimal WSJT-X with dependencies, making sure kiwirecorder is working etc.
    Its a good post above as someone quite possibly will change the directory name then wonder what is up.

For example if someone searches for Kiwirecorder they won't hit https://github.com/jks-prv/kiwiclient/tree/jks-v0.1 as an early search term, they get links to this forum and can dig through if they know what they are looking for but a sticky with simple steps would get a book mark from me and when I'm pushing what Kiwi can be used for I'd go to the steps.
    I have a small interest in RC planes and quads (until the airspace is completely sold off to Amazon and other corps) and there is a forum that has sometimes thousands of posts in one thread, I've had people sound surprised I didn't read post #1506 then reference it to the details in #864 and a few others, this is orders of magnitude better but the idea is there, have a sticky "getting started with WSPR using external decoding" or similar.
  • they is no need to build wsjt-x if you are running X86 or ARM, you can just pluck the wsprd from those wsjt-x distros
  • I don't know how to make a sticky, but I agree those installation/upgrade instructions need to be more visible.
  • The sticky post option is from the forum admins side and ideally it is then locked (or limited) so that discussion does not go on in the same thread.
    At work I have a little MediaWiki (TurnkeyLinux) and those once-a-year weird software tweaks get noted in that, next year or when myself some other guy wants to replace the awkward FlexLM license for X they can search the wiki and the instructions should be there, takes seconds, saves hours in the week. I'm not suggesting that form here as the wiki can be edited by anyone inside the company but to me with the ubiquity of forums and text editors having software, good software, without logical install instructions it a missed opportunity.