New User - thoughts / issues

First of all. I LOVE the project and I have quite a bit to learn. I do see massive potential for some fun things to do with this. I like how you've expanded openwebrx to the area it needs to go AND MORE! However there are a few things I was wondering if were possible.

1) Presets - I really like to flip around known channels / favorites but it is a manual process. I know you can do last/previous with the arrow keys but I'd like some form of bookmark/favorites extension. A simple list on the left hand side would suffice with maybe folders/sub folders!
2) Is there enough processing power left to do Morse/TTY or other CW type stuff?
3) Right click options are very nice. The 2nd option for utility lookup never seems to find anything. Sure it is set up correctly? How do I confirm?
4) Any way to incorporate a right click to go to the appropriate frequency range at https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Signal_Identification_Guide ? /vlf/lf/mf etc as a quick reference?
5) I've been having very odd noise issues. It seems on every odd/even band at equal distant points I see a small signal with nothing on it. It varies from day/night but it is like every 1-10KHz there is a signal. I also get a LOT of AM radio echos on different frequencies. I've ordered an AM radio bandstop to see if it'll eliminate any noise.
6) The unit came with a whole slew of presets that were not applicable to my geographic location. I've been manually removing a lot of them. Would be nice if there was some way for people to share their presets for different continents maybe. So if I do a thorough set of bookmarks for the Midwest etc, I could share them.
7) Any chance of switching to SSL?

FYI I use a mini whip with no filters currently on my TV antenna tripod and my setup can be heard here (although it isn't permanent location) 24.146.41.3:8073

Comments

• I posted info on sharing dx.json, I'll try to find again.
  • To your point 6 - Mine are here: https://github.com/ringof/kiwi-dx.json
    Lonecrow
  • Ahh you store is in a json file. Thanks! I'll take a look. Are you in the midwest?
  • edited July 2018
    I'm in Acton, Massachusetts, but you'll find these US dx.json files like mine or @WA2ZKD to be more applicable than the default one on the Kiwi, despite the regional seperation.

Here is one of the posts on sharing: http://forum.kiwisdr.com/discussion/862/repository-of-dx-json
  • Many thanks!
  • As far as I know, the SSL system relies on the certificate of authenticity residing on the server. Each KiwiSDR is a server... I setup SSL on an Apache Server and it was not difficult but to get one that didn't argue with the client about authenticity I had to lease a Certificate on a 3 year basis from a Certificate provider.
    Ron
    KA7U
  • jksjks
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, see that annoys me greatly. I don't want all the Kiwis on the planet to get bricked someday because I'm dead and the certificate has expired. I don't want Kiwis to have some dependency on an external site that keeps them from working. It's bad enough we depend on Google for timezone lookup and various sites for geolocation lookup. There's the proxy and TDoA service issues, but at least they're optional.
    KA7U
  • edited July 2018
    I'm no big fan of "SSL Everywhere"as it gives a false sense of security, I had a conversation with the owner of a small game software company, he told me SSL was "impossible to intercept", I showed him how various software and routing devices do just that, all the time, the face of cognitive dissonance is pained one.
    People believe the bad guys can't get to you and "the gubmint" can't read traffic "because SSL", it's more accurate to say script kiddies who can't use YouTube probably will try someone else first due to your use of SSL.

That said if you have a local server running LetsEncrypt with a wildcard on your public IP could that not cover it?
  • Yup SSL would give performance a hit. I 'm ok without it. Worst thing that can happen is it gets hacked and you reload it / patch it. Its already open to the public so I highly doubt anything beneficial to hackers anyway. So I guess I cancel that request :)
  • Also the presets could be done based on a cookie.

Websdr has the "memories" section that really helps. No logging in needed. Site just remembers you and your prefs.
  • In 2018 you'd rather use LocalStorage

The question with all those frontend improvements is "Where to put them in the UI?" The space is tight.
  • @Lonecrow

"Presets - I really like to flip around known channels / favorites but it is a manual process. I know you can do last/previous with the arrow keys but I'd like some form of bookmark/favorites extension. A simple list on the left hand side would suffice with maybe folders/sub folders! "

Although it's not quite what you had in mind, you can get close by bookmarking URL strings.

If you use the green arrow button next to the frequency input text box, it opens up a new browser session with a URL string including the current frequency and mode etc. This can then be saved as a browser bookmark and renamed as required.

I also do this for TDoA sessions and save them with names such as UK, Europe, North America, Russia, China etc.

That way I can quickly recall some standard setups with KiWi's that I know work well for the named coverage area, then I normally only have to recall the bookmark, change the frequency and hit submit.

It saves a lot of time if you ever need to quickly locate a transmission.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
    Lonecrow
  • Daniel - you'd do it as an extension that opens the bottom left window (like Devl) but with a scrollable list of presets you can add with notes. Won't take up any more space than any of the other extensions
  • Thanks G8JNJ - Like last night was trying to monitor Haarp from different locations and a lot of looking around flipping between 40-80M etc. I'll give it a try.
  • @W1EUJ I'm looking at your json and I noticed there are 0 fsk bookmarks. I'm having a hard time finding any fsk signals in North America so far that work. Have you ever found any?
  • My tags are selected for most casual users to be able to do something with it - I don't like TOO many tags up there, just the once likely to get some attention. Most of those FSK stations are encrypted and doing things like TDoA on them wasn't something I saw many folks do. For the few stations you can do something with, they are already on the dropdowns for the FSK/NAVTEX extensions and they decode fine. I will go and add the NAVTEX from Boston though.
    Lonecrow