Participation of Kiwis in the TDoA process

2»

Comments

• I bought one of these to try, it is still RG-174/u but 5m and no connectors required to extend the std one.
    https://www.wifi-stock.co.uk/details/mikrotik-gps-antenna-with-sma-connector-acgpsa.html
  • I have one of those 40 dB antennas I posted a link to above and have it split 4 ways after 25 foot for LMR240 and still have excess signal
  • John,

Are the KiWi's who have the timestamps switched off still shown on the TDoA map ?

I've been trying to use Emerald several times today but although it has good GPS fixes I get the "no recent GPS timestamps" message when I try to start sampling.

Also for some reason my G8JNJ KiWi doesn't seem to be displaying on the map even though I've got free channels and good GPS. I wondered if this could in some way be associated with my new 'duplicate' use of port 8073 (the one via reverse proxy doesn't have a GPS antenna connected) ?

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • mine was doing that for a time yesterday... then became normal again
  • If you want to know the status of a specific Kiwi do something like: http://emeraldsdr.ddns.net:8073/status
    If "tdoa_ch=-1" (note minus one) then no channels have been made available for TDoA or timestamps have been turned off.
    If "fixes_min=0" then the Kiwi will not be listed due to "not enough recent timestamps". But remember there is the issue we've discussed previously about delays in updating the map. So the value you get at a particular moment looking at /status may not reflect what is happening with the map.
  • Hi John,

Would it be possible to provide an admin function to allow TDoA requests from other KiWi's to kick existing users from the Admins KiWi to allow the 30 second TDoA session to run.

I'd normally kick the user that has been on the KiWi for the longest period, as my experience from doing this manually from time to time is that many of these will either not actually be listening, but will have just left the browser session open.

If they are actively listening they will perform a browser refresh and become reconnected. In many cases the 30 second TDoA session 'kick' would not have a major impact on such KiWi users.

Another thought.

Would it be possible to have a TDoA redirection from the main KiWi to a secondary one just for TDoA requests ?

I have more than one KiWi, but I don't want to make a second one public becuse of internet uplink bandwidth restrictions, however it could be used for TDoA requests as theses are not that frequent and don't take up a lot of KiWi time.

Could the first KiWi with the sdr.hu public details redirect to the second one without giving away the IP address and login details of the second ?

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • OK here's a controversial one for further discussion.............

Looking at my KiWi activity, the users who stay on one frequency for the longest periods (sometimes several hours), tend to be either listening to AM broadcast stations or are AM pirate's (especially at the weekends) monitoring their own transmissions.

So maybe a TDoA priority scheme should kick KiWi users with AM selected first, as these seem to be the most 'persistent' and receiver hogging, they also tend to have more options available for listening on other KiWi's, including those with less than ideal antennas and noise floors, as the signal level of BC stations tend to be 10dB or more greater than just about anything else and have a much wider geographical coverage area than amateur or utility stations.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • a daemon in the BBG that watches the users and kicks them based upon a rule set would do it
  • Hmmm,

That sounds like an interesting idea.

Anyone using AM on a single frequency for more than 1/2 hour would be a good starting point.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • Perhaps a settable timeout per mode would be a good idea
  • > Would it be possible to provide an admin function to allow TDoA requests from other KiWi's to kick existing users from the Admins KiWi to allow the 30 second TDoA session to run.

I think it's unfair to prioritize one specific application like that, regardless of how "superior" to others you find it to be.

> Looking at my KiWi activity, the users who stay on one frequency for the longest periods (sometimes several hours), tend to be either listening to AM broadcast stations or are AM pirate's (especially at the weekends) monitoring their own transmissions.
    >
    > So maybe a TDoA priority scheme should kick KiWi users with AM selected first, as these seem to be the most 'persistent' and receiver hogging, they also tend to have more options available for listening on other KiWi's, including those with less than ideal antennas and noise floors, as the signal level of BC stations tend to be 10dB or more greater than just about anything else and have a much wider geographical coverage area than amateur or utility stations.

No, just no. This is going to be largely ineffective. If your users find out that the AM mode has a specific timeout, they would just use SSB or IQ instead and carry on. Or just switch between AM and some other mode back and forth, similar to how inactivity timeout can be worked around.
  • Hi Daniel,

Well I said it was going to be controversial :-)

"I think it's unfair to prioritize one specific application like that, regardless of how "superior" to others you find it to be."

Maybe - but I'm providing the facility i.e. the KiWi and Internet bandwidth at my expense, but free of charge to the users, so I think I should be allowed to prioritise if I wish.

The point is that if users get kicked, they generally will reconnect fairly quickly and usually assume it was just an internet dropout. If they have just left the browser window open after they have finished they won't reconnect and after the 30 second TDoA run has completed the channel will then be available for others to use, which it wouldn't have been previously, until the KiWi timeout rule had kicked in.

"No, just no. This is going to be largely ineffective. If your users find out that the AM mode has a specific timeout, they would just use SSB or IQ instead and carry on. Or just switch between AM and some other mode back and forth, similar to how inactivity timeout can be worked around."

I agree they can work around it, but in doing so they have to be proactive, which may discourage them from sitting on the same frequency for hours and hours and hours, whilst denying other users access.

My other suggestion of being able to block specific frequencies with modified DX tags may actually be a better option.

However some of these points may no longer be valid now that John has implemented the new 8 channel configuration.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ