PWM fan cooling for BBAI 64

I have a BBAI64/KIWISDR2 running in 8 Channel mode.

Without any cooling, it still exceeds 52c quite quickly with 7 channels of wsprdaemon connected.

i am noticing that there is a PWM fan header and I am wondering if the code here (see below) could be added to the BBAi64 KIWI image file so that it could actively control a pwm fan.

see here

src/arm64/overlays/BONE-FAN.dts · v5.10.x-ti-unified · BeagleBoard.org / BeagleBoard-DeviceTrees · GitLab

Comments

• jksjks
    edited June 20

In a word: No.

Every time I have to go near that Beagle device tree stuff my life turns into hell for weeks or even months at a time. We still don't have a BBAI Debian 11 image because I haven't had time to suffer through the dev tree stuff for it.

Just get yourself a large diameter (e.g. 120mm), low RPM fan to cool your AI64. That's what I do and it works great. Very quiet. No need for PWM control.

• Thank you for the response. That is how I have it setup now and its fine.

• "Just get yourself a large diameter (e.g. 120mm), low RPM fan to cool

your AI64. That's what I do and it works great. Very quiet. No need for

PWM control."

Any suggestions on a specific fan make/model that meets those specs? I have a BBAI that has started overheating when our local heat wave descended this week. I have various fans around, but would prefer not to add to the acoustic noise floor in that room.

• jksjks
    edited June 26

I used this one: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CUI-Devices/CFM-A225B-015-287?qs=QNEnbhJQKvb2DvAtDRPA%2FQ%3D%3D

Note the important specs: low speed (1500 RPM), ball bearings, 5 VDC. It has wire power termination. So you'll have to splice in a short section of cable with a USB-A connector on one end if you want to power it that way. There are also USB-A connectors that have solder cups for terminating the wires directly. Also USB-A connectors with screw posts.

I forget what the fan connector is on the AI-64. Not sure it is even powered without a proper PWM signal present, so check that first if you want to go that route. The AI-64 manual (or website) probably has the connector spec.

WA2TP
  • Thank you! Hopefully it will do the job.

• These have been whirring away for me for more than a year:

With a box of the spacers below, and some of the rubber feet from the fan, you can make "legs" to elevate the fan and/or BBAI-64 to make them sit on top of one another stably: