Your Kiwi must be running the v1.690 (or later) release to use the proxy service and be in the public Kiwi list (rx.kiwisdr.com, map.kiwisdr.com)

Please visit kiwisdr.com (documentation) and kiwisdr.nz (online store)

PWM fan cooling for BBAI 64

I have a BBAI64/KIWISDR2 running in 8 Channel mode.

Without any cooling, it still exceeds 52c quite quickly with 7 channels of wsprdaemon connected.

i am noticing that there is a PWM fan header and I am wondering if the code here (see below) could be added to the BBAi64 KIWI image file so that it could actively control a pwm fan.

see here

src/arm64/overlays/BONE-FAN.dts · v5.10.x-ti-unified · BeagleBoard.org / BeagleBoard-DeviceTrees · GitLab

Comments

• jksjks
    edited June 20

In a word: No.

Every time I have to go near that Beagle device tree stuff my life turns into hell for weeks or even months at a time. We still don't have a BBAI Debian 11 image because I haven't had time to suffer through the dev tree stuff for it.

Just get yourself a large diameter (e.g. 120mm), low RPM fan to cool your AI64. That's what I do and it works great. Very quiet. No need for PWM control.

• Thank you for the response. That is how I have it setup now and its fine.

• "Just get yourself a large diameter (e.g. 120mm), low RPM fan to cool

your AI64. That's what I do and it works great. Very quiet. No need for

PWM control."

Any suggestions on a specific fan make/model that meets those specs? I have a BBAI that has started overheating when our local heat wave descended this week. I have various fans around, but would prefer not to add to the acoustic noise floor in that room.

• jksjks
    edited June 26

I used this one: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CUI-Devices/CFM-A225B-015-287?qs=QNEnbhJQKvb2DvAtDRPA%2FQ%3D%3D

Note the important specs: low speed (1500 RPM), ball bearings, 5 VDC. It has wire power termination. So you'll have to splice in a short section of cable with a USB-A connector on one end if you want to power it that way. There are also USB-A connectors that have solder cups for terminating the wires directly. Also USB-A connectors with screw posts.

I forget what the fan connector is on the AI-64. Not sure it is even powered without a proper PWM signal present, so check that first if you want to go that route. The AI-64 manual (or website) probably has the connector spec.

WA2TP
  • Thank you! Hopefully it will do the job.

• These have been whirring away for me for more than a year:

With a box of the spacers below, and some of the rubber feet from the fan, you can make "legs" to elevate the fan and/or BBAI-64 to make them sit on top of one another stably: