KiwiSDR 2 online store: Is PayPal important as a payment method?

jksjks
edited December 2023 in KiwiSDR Discussion

How important is PayPal to you as a payment method vs credit cards, Apple Pay and Google Pay?

We ask because PayPal is becoming a moderate PITA to setup, and we'd rather spend the time working on other stuff.

Comments

1. PayPal is my preferred method.
    2. Credit card is 2nd.
    3. Don't have any Apple devices, so no Apple Pay for me.
    4. Have never tried Google Pay.

-Zyg- AF4MP

• edited December 2023

Paypal would also be my preferred method. But it's possible to use paypal via google pay. (Edit: Apparently that doesn't work here)

Bank transfer would also be good.

• Hi John, CC is perfectly good enough for me. PayPal is not important and I find myself using it less and less these days.

• It may be beneficial depending on the release date. For some, Around the holiday's budgets get tight. Paypal offers lower interest and sometimes not interest on pay over time options.

• Agree with your comments re: pypl. Credit card is still a good option in my opinion.

• I use Paypal a lot but if only pay by credit card is available, it is no problem.

• PayPal is my preferred method as well.

• Paypal is my preferred method of payment, but I can use Credit/Debit Card as a secondary option as well.

• I use Paypal a lot, but cards are fine too.

I don't use Google and Apple Pay for various reasons.

Regards,

Martin

• I like the ease of using Paypal and I won't use a CC if I don't trust the seller. But in this case using a CC is perfectly fine.

-Craig

• Same for me this:

1. PayPal is my preferred method.
    2. Credit card is 2nd.
    3. Don't have any Apple devices, so no Apple Pay for me.
    4. Have never tried Google Pay.
    5. 73 de IK8SUT Antonio.

• PayPal is my preferred method of payment, then Venmo.

I try not to ever use CC numbers online, if possible.

• PayPal or CC is fine for me.

• PayPal is my preferred method as well.

• I used to use PayPal in a small online business I ran, but new government rules here forbade accepting payments via PayPal and I closed my account.

Therefore, no PayPal for me. Credit cards work best.

• edited December 2023

What type and location of account are we ultimately paying into? A US bank account, a Kiwi account or something else?

I suppose I'm in the minority, but I loathe Paypal and its owners and it taking a cut on so many transactions where it really isn't needed. Still, I maintain an account for situations where there's no other option, but I will do almost anything to avoid giving Mr. Musk and friends any more of my money.

If it is a US bank account, since I'm in the US, there are (free to both parties) instant transfer methods like Zelle and Venmo.

I use Square for credit cards in a personal part time business, and while you have to pay the man to use it (I think about US 0.25 per transaction plus 2.9%), it's cheaper than Paypal.

Be careful with Paypal John if people are going to want to do "Friends and Family" (the free option) transactions, because you're going to be running them at a scale that Paypal would detect, potentially resulting in your account being frozen.

Edward

W3ENR / K3WRG

• Be careful with Paypal John if people are going to want to do "Friends and Family" (the free option) transactions, because you're going to be running them at a scale that Paypal would detect, potentially resulting in your account being frozen.

I think that problem was fixed some time ago. Shopify (our store platform) requires a PayPal merchant account, and you can't do F&F transfers to a merchant account.

• Good morning,

for security reasons, I prefer Paypal or a normal bank transfer. I don't use my credit card directly on the internet.

When I make a bank transfer, the waiting time is 72 hours, because my bank verifies everything.

best regards, Philippe

• Not a deal breaker. I trust my credit card company far more than I trust PayPal.

• Yeah, I think the other reason for us not to offer Paypal immediately is the crowdfunding aspect. As mentioned above Paypal is notorious for deciding, on a whim, to freeze your account for unclear reasons (especially with new accounts). And then taking months to sort out the situation due to their poor customer service.

Can you imagine what would happen if 30% of the funds from the first-build orders ended up this way? We'd be screwed..

• If you think that's bad just try crowd funding some sort of civil disobedience gathering.... ;^>

See how fast your accounts get frozen then!

• Just a headsup, but payment may be flagged as fraud by the credit card company, just had it happen to me upon ordering 2 units.

They deblocked my card once I confirmed the payment was legit, but not only 5mins after paying it was flagged for fraud

• jksjks
    edited December 2023

Shopify has flagged half of the orders as fraudulent to some degree or another. I'm not very happy about that.

Fortunately I recognize most of the names.