[Please see: latest production status info]
I don't like to announce something before it's ready. But the "cat is out of the bag" so to speak.
So please consider this a pre-announcement. There are no guarantees.
KiwiSDR 2 prototypes are now under construction. The problem is I don't know WHO is going to manufacture this or HOW. So I don't know WHEN it might be available. And most importantly I don't know what it might COST.
If you have specific ideas about these questions please email me (email@example.com). I'm especially interested in full-service manufacturing and distribution outside of China.
KiwiSDR 2 Goals:
Minimal changes. Fastest time-to-market with lowest possible risk. BUT since the PCB is going to be re-spun fix some of the known limitations that don't add too much risk:
- New RF front-end:
- Balanced input via balun transformer
- Digital attenuator (per the advisory group: pSemi PE4312, 0 - 31.5 dB, 0.5 dB steps)
- Gas discharge tube (GDT) across input in addition to TVS diodes
- Static drain resistors (100K) from input connections to ground
- External ADC clock brought out on third SMA connector
- Self test loopback mode using a short cable between this SMA and antenna input
- New GPS chip to replace current one which is now EOL
- Reverse polarity protection (via P-FET) on 5V DC input
- TVS diode across 5V input
I have an email advisory group. Many, many other changes and additions were considered and deferred. They have been put onto a list for the future.
Additional info as things progress.