Duh locked out [typo in kiwi.json file]

edited April 20 in Problems Now Fixed

I was playing a little bit with the HTML settings since I wanted to use a weather widget in the top header.

There is an option in the admin section to put some HTML code there, and if you save it, it will change the top part of the webpage, the part where the photo of Kiwi 2 is located.

Somehow the Kiwi is not showing the main page anymore, and neither is the admin login accessible. The server is still active since you can connect with true ssh, but that is about it. pages will not reload anymore. My question is, is there a way to remove the HTML code when in ssh mode? I think if I remove the html code and power it back on, the problem is solved. 

or is the only way to flash it with a SD card?

Comments

• Hang on, already working on this. There will be a way to fix this without re-flashing.

• Okay, let's see if we can get you going since a more general fix is going to take a bit.

So login via ssh, stop the Kiwi server (it will be in a loop starting and crashing) and manually edit the config file:

(Login to the "debian" account. Password is most likely the Kiwi's serial number)

sudo su

(Use the debian account password again)

cdp

msd

cdk

nano kiwi.config (or some other text editor)

Look for something like this and get rid of the stuff between the double quotes (but leave the quotes):

"index_html_params": {

"HTML_HEAD": "(delete stuff in here)",

},

Now start things up again:

cdp

mes

I think that should work.

• thanks for the help... i did find the kiwi.config but its blanco. so i went on looking for the "index_html_params i did find the script that i entered in the admin panel but it was located in the kiwi.jason file so i deleted that code and use the cdp and mes command after that. rebooted but no joy. it just wont start up again..

• Sorry, I see there was a typo in my comment:

nano kiwi.config

should have been

nano kiwi.config/kiwi.json

But you figured that out it seems.

If it's still not running we need to look at the log file. Please do this and email the result to support@kiwisdr.com. Thanks.

cdp

msl | tail -n 1000

• @DenBoz

You were typing kiwi.jason but the file name is kiwi.json, are you sure you were editing the file correctly?

• It worked, guys. I had a typo in the kiwi. json file.

and I forgot a bracket. Thank you both for helping me.

ps JKS Is there a way to remove my other post where I am ranting about forced updates?

The problem was on my side. Sorry about that.

I wanted to remove it myself but couldn't. Thank you once again for the help.

have a good day

• jksjks
    edited April 16

Ranting about forced updates is not an unreasonable thing actually. Look at all the ranting I do myself, lol. But I have removed the post as you requested.

It doesn't help that so many mistakes of mine get past my update testing and out into release. Sometimes causing significant trouble for all of you. 😒

• no worries.. where great to see there is a v2 for us radioheads... thanks up for that.. and the rest is trial and error.. have a great day