Debian 11 upgrade for Kiwis using BeagleBone Green/Black

2»

Comments

• @PSO Is it now working for you?

• @f6bir2 Is it a Kiwi-1 or Kiwi-2?

I really need to see a large number (like 500 to 1000) of the log messages from the msl command.

Could you email those to support@kiwisdr.com please?

• PSOPSO
    edited April 26

Yes, John.

All kinds of hassle with broken microSD cards and stuff so finally I chose this route:

I downloaded the image file to my Windows computer from

http://kiwisdr.com/files/KiwiSDR_v1.665_BBG_BBB_Debian_11.9.img.xz

I Extracted the IMG file with 7-zip to use with Raspberry Pi imager.

I Downloaded Rasberry PI imager from:

https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/

And with that program choosing these options and pressing NEXT:

and then answering NO to this next one:

And then YES to this one:

The program then starts writing the image and verifies it in about 6 minutes (even with a 10 years old Dell e6230 laptop). If the verifying seems to last forever you very probably have a bad MicroSD card and the program tells you that it could not verity the written image. Bin the card and take another one 😁

Take the card from the computer. Put the card in the KiwiSDR and power it up.

Blue leds starts to roll left and right very soon. It does that for about 5-6min. Then all the leds go off.

Power off KiwiSDR, take the card off. Then power up again.

After 1-2 minutes your KiwiSDR is up and running with Debian 11.9 and firmware v1.665.

The very first time I did this with a 32GB card and I needed to keep the boot button pressed for a few seconds while powering up. Now I have tested this procedure half a dozen times with 16GB cards and no need to use the boot button again. Was it because of the 32G card or Debian 8.5 changing to Debian 11.9 I don´t know.

I hope this helps someone else wanting to update his/hers KiwiSDR.

73 Pekka

• This me rehearsing the procedure. ☺️

73 Pekka

• Problem solved, I executed the ./up command after modifying "locale" in FR UTF-8

Everything is operational now

see bash-history below

thank you for some user's tread found in this forum

73 f6bir

• @f6bir2 Glad it's working. But I'm still very worried that I don't understand why you would have seen such a serious problem as "FPGA not responding" just by using the Debian 11 sd card re-flash image.

I would very much still like to see your complete log file. From the admin page, "console" tab. Use the msl command. Then select-all/cut/paste the entire log window into an email to support@kiwisdr.com please.

Thank you

• John

I sent to support@kiwisdr.com 3 bash files this morning

Have a nice WE

F6bir

• @f6bir2 Sorry, I am extremely confused. Are you the same person who has been emailing me using a different callsign in your messages (OE5...) also having a problem with no signal reception? Where you tried jumpering over the RF attn chip with no improvement?

I'm trying to track over a dozen people, each with different problems, and it's very difficult to keep these conversations straight.

I got the files you emailed. But the command you used was ms l (note the space between ml and l. What I really need is the (very long) output from the msl command (no space) where it shows which Kiwi software version you were using when the "FPGA not responding" was occurring.

Thank you

• No there is no connection with OE5...., I always use f6bir2 as user in this forum.

Attached is the console 'msl' file, I have deleted the identical parts to lighten the file.

I couldn't go to the end of the file, the console returns to zero (blank) before the end of msl

F6bir2 Rene

• @f6bir2 Okay, thank you. The OE5xxx in my email is also named Rene, hence my confusion.

Thanks very much for the log file. I need to figure out what exactly happened..