Where is Port 8073?

Just about every KiwiSDR address I have ever seen is ipaddress:8073, referring to a port called 8073. But where is that port? Is it in my router somewhere or is it in the Beagleboard that runs the Kiwi?

The reason I ask is I'm trying to set up a SDR++ server so I can do some FM DXing without walking down to my shack, which is in a separate building on my property. The server uses port 5259 but it shows no connection attempts, despite many attempts. If I knew where port 5259 was I could check to see whether it exists and is open.

Sorry, not exactly a KiwiSDR question, but it appears to be related. Thanks for any help.

Ken VE3HLS

Comments

• The port is defined in the actual device configuration file.

Some port numbers are used for specific purposes, like 80 for web pages or 22 for SSH, others are chosen and sometimes become a defacto standard, but the can be changed if required.

Imagine your IP is like a street address for an apartment block. The port number defines which apartment within the block is the actual address to send and receive mail.

With SDR++, you simply use the same url format you would use to connect to any other SDR+++ server, bur with your IP details instead, followed by the port number :5259.

You should be able to connect to your own server if both devices are using the same local network.

If you wish to connect outside of this, over the internet, you will need to add a port forwarding rule to your router.

The KiWi makes this easy, by offering a number if options to configure this function.

Regards,

Martin

Nate_R
  • Thanks Martin,

I use kiwisdr.local:8073 to access my Kiwi from home. SDR++ suggested using sdrpp.local:5259 to access it from within my network but any attempts to connect aren't recognized (or apparently received) by the server.

I see from the KiwiSDR admin page that my KiwiSDR has a public and private IP address. I assume the private address (192.168.x.x) is the one to use, but whatismyipaddress.com gives me only the public address. Seems to me there's a DOS command that will display this but darned if I can remember what it is.

Will keep looking.

Thanks again!

Ken VE3HLS

• Hi Ken,

The private IP address is the one used by the KiWi or server on your local network.

It is either automatically allocated using DHCP, or is fixed in the device configuration file or router table.

The public IP address is the one your router uses to connect to the outside world and the internet, and is allocated by your ISP. This may be a fixed address, or more likely a dynamic one, so you may have to use a DDNS service such as NoIP, in in order to present a consistent public URL.

In order to correctly route traffic from the one external IP address, to each of the separate internal IP addresses, you have to define rules in the router table. This is where the port number comes into play.

You define a port number to append to your external IP, and route this to a specific internal IP and port number. The internal and external port numbers are usually the same, but it is possible to map from one port number to another, if required.

Using my previous analogy, The public IP, is the main door to the apartment block, it is the common entrance and exit. The router is the doorman to the block. The internal IP address is like the floor number inside the block, and the port number is the apartment door number. If you don't know the exact address of the apartment you are looking for, you have to ask the doorman, who may tell you, or alternatively not let you in.

Regards,

Martin

• Hi Martin,

Success! I found my internal IP address, told SDR++ server to look there, then set it up in the client and with a little more fiddling with settings, it works!

Thanks for helping me understand what's going on!

Ken VE3HLS