Admin password not required for external login (security)

I just got my new unit, and installed it on the local LAN with a static IP.

I set up a reverse SSH pipe from my Internet based VPS back to the unit here at home.

I can login to the admin page from the outside world without entering the password.

The Security settings (I have not changed) are set

"Admin auto-login from local net even if password set? Yes"

The password is visible.

This should not be possible.

Bart ZL4FOX

Comments

• Update: When I change the 'Admin auto-login from local net" to 'No' it does ask me for the password. So I will leave it like that for now.

But I do not see how de device could detect that my PC is on the local net if I connect via the Internet VPS, as the 'from' IP address is in this case my ISP address (Starlink).

I also made a new connection from another browser (to prevent any Cookie interference) but it got into the Admin pages via the VPS just as easely.

• jksjks
    edited July 24

This should not be possible.

No, it's working exactly as intended.

That "Admin auto-login from local net even if password set?" option exists just for the situation you have: A VPS/VPN/proxy/rev-SSH setup that presents as a local IP address to the Kiwi but is actually a gateway to the wider Internet.

If you're going to do something that violates the integrity of local IP space then there needs to be a way to disable the auto-login. And that's why that option exists. Not that the auto-login feature is somehow a problem.