fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
root@kiwisdr:~# cdp; git show origin:Makefile | head -n 2
bash: cd: /root/Beagle_SDR_GPS: No such file or directory
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

How to fix?

73 de Olaf - LA3RK

PS Should be available on la3rk.dyndns.org:8073, external ssh not open

Comments

• For v1.664: On the admin console tab, is there a red button labeled "re-clone sources"? If so, try that. Afterwards you should be able to use the "build now" button on the admin update tab.

• Hi, I have a similar issue here. Two units were powered on after about 6 months in storage and both failed to update with "Git Clone Damage" message and "No Connection to Git hub" when tested. Units currently have version 1.640 and 1.574 installed.

I attempted the "re-clone sources" process (above) several times on both units and came up with the following error messages.

What was overwritten above was the message that "4% of objects were downloaded" before the error:RPC failed... message came on and overwrote that line.

I would appreciate advice on how to proceed.

Thanks Brad

• jksjks
    edited July 17

Try these commands in the admin console tab.

Be very careful not to make any mistake typing them. If you get an error stop and ask here.

cd

mv Beagle_SDR_GPS old

export GIT_HTTP_LOW_SPEED_LIMIT=1000

export GIT_HTTP_LOW_SPEED_TIME=1000

gclone Beagle_SDR_GPS

Now the "build now" button on the admin update tab should work. Follow the build progress by typing in the admin console tab: tail -f ~/build.log

The GIT_HTTP... stuff has been added in recent releases to prevent this problem. But that of course doesn't help you with the older releases.

• Hi John,

I did get the following back:

mv: cannot stat 'Beagle_SDR_GPS': No such file or directory

I did proceed with the GIT_HTTP... and got to the same point as previously "receiving object: 4%(1915/41096) before getting the same error messages.

• jksjks
    edited July 17

What does a pwd say? From your shell prompt it looks like you're in the / directory instead of /root that the cd command (first one in my list) would have taken you to.

But it seems that the GIT_HTTP... isn't helping which is a big problem.

What's the output from a dog command?

• Screen from previous error point

• Okay, now that you're in the /root directory (shell prompt is ~#) try the commands again. But I think the problem is that it's not going to work with Debian 8.

• Unfortunately the same result:

• The only alternative really is to make an sd card with the Debian 11 based release and re-flash. Instructions here: http://kiwisdr.com/info/#id-net-reflash

• Ok, will do - thanks John for your help...

• I'm sorry. I don't quite understand what the root cause of this problem is.

It's possible that github.com changed the curl timeout values on their end for some reason. We first noticed the issue with someone who had a very slow Internet connection that was triggering the timeouts. But your connection is not particularly slow. So I don't understand.

• Will try reclone sources once back home. Reclone only available to local connections.

73 de Olaf - LA3RK

• Reclone did not work. Got early EOF after some minutes of reasonsble progress, stopped around item no 2000. Internet connection should be fast, update reports about 150 kiB/s. Outside line is 1 Gb both ways. Have not checked kiwi connection to local network.

Currently recloning from sd card and it seems kiwi is updating correctly. Got following caution:

# CAUTION 4/2024: gzip of kiwisdr.min.css disabled due to browser unzip corruption

Apart from this no errors or warnings. Kiwi is now on last software version. Need to pick up my setup from my other kiwi.

Thanks for support.

73 de Olaf - LA3RK

• That caution message is not a problem. Rather, just a reminder to me that I had to disable some compression the server does because, once again, the behavior of the browsers changed unexpectedly.