v1.702 binary updates

From the CHANGE_LOG file:

v1.702 October 23, 2024

Binary updates:

After this release is installed Kiwis become eligible to receive binary updates.

That is, a full recompile from source code will not be required each time an update occurs.

So an update should take a few minutes instead of 20-30.

This will only occur if a binary file in the bin/ directory exists with the correct

Debian version number (e.g. 8.5, 11.9) and platform name (e.g. BBG_BBB, BBAI, BBAI_64).

For example, bin/kiwid_v1.702_D11.9_BBG_BBB.bin will be copied to /usr/local/bin/kiwid

if validated. Otherwise recompilation from source will occur as a fallback.

As a first test, for this release binaries will be installed for the default Kiwi-2

configuration: Debian 11.9 and BBG/BBB. This will also apply to BBG/BBB-based Kiwi-1s that

run D11.9. Setups with other characteristics will build from sources as usual.

In the frequency entry field fixed "set waterfall frequency" notation, e.g. #7020

Type the "H" key (capital H) for more information about "#". (thanks stan)

FSK extension:

Added 50 Hz to shift menu.

Added HFGCC VLF freqs to DX community database.

(thanks NEET INTEL via x.com/neetintel/status/1837600716644389113)

Admin page:

Update tab: Don't update after a restart, wait for overnight update window.

Only applies to default set by first time software installs, i.e. won't disturb any

manual change you may have made. (requested by KiwiSDR NZ manufacturing team)

DX tab: Fixed missing entry in "Default DX label database" menu. (thanks ukoda)

HB9TMCnitroengine

Comments

• jksjks
    edited October 23

I realize a lot of people have updated within a particular Debian release to get the latest changes (especially for any security fixes). For example from D8.5 to D8.11.

The current binary update mechanism plays it safe by keying off of the Debian major and minor version numbers (Dmajor.minor). To avoid any possible problems with shared library version clashes etc. I expect that this requirement can be dropped as we gain more experience. So for example there might be a single binary file version for each of Debian 8, 9, 10, 11 etc. Some of your have more experience with these issues than I do. Please feel free to comment.

• Is there a standard procedure, if I want to try the binary on a non-supported point release (D11.11)?

Or should I try to copy it over the existing binaries? Or should I not mess with that yet ...

Releasing the binaries as .deb packages could be a solution, as it can check for dependencies and resolve them automatically. But it might be more work for you.

• jksjks
    edited October 23

You can try it. But you need to be prepared to ssh into the Kiwi and restore the binary file (or rebuild from source) if installing the binary manually happens to leave the Kiwi server bricked due to some incompatibility. This is essentially what I'm going to do next to start exploring what those issues are.

So from the admin console tab you can do:

dog (make sure it says you're running Debian 11)

cd /usr/local/bin

cp kiwid kiwid.save

cdp

cp bin/kiwid_v1.702_D11.9_BBG_BBB.bin /usr/local/bin/kiwid

And then use the restart button on the control tab.

HB9TMC
  • That seems to have worked. That's reducing the required downtime notably!

Additional steps were a git pull, and it's neccessary to shutdown kiwid before it's possible to overwrite the file.