Problem with user passwords

Hi Group,

I configured my Kiwi so one channel would always a require a user to submit a password then logging on. I sent the user a password, but he reports that he entered it incorrectly and my Kiwi let him in anyway.

I guess I don't understand how this whole password thing works. I thought when you set up a user with a password, one channel would be reserved for him and nobody else would be able to use it. But if that's how it works then why not identify the reserved channel in the Users display, at least to the owner?

If an unreserved (public) channel is available, does my user with the password get access to the public channel no matter whether he enters a correct password or not? I would think not, because if a channel has been password protected just for him then it's a waste of resources for him to be given access to a public channel while the private channel sits idle.

Does the password access scheme only work if three our of four channels are already occupied?

Please, someone tell me how this is supposed to work so I can understand itand advise my user.,

Many thanks, and 73

Ken VE3HLS, So Phisai, Thailand OK18sc

Comments

• Further to my initial report. I still don't see a "reserved/private" channel identified in the online User tab on my KiwiSDR, and nothing is mentioned in the Admin screen (a good place to put it would be right next to the line where I entered the password, no?)

I very often have four users using my Kiwi concurrently, so there appears to be no security even though I went through the steps in the very brief description on the Kiwi website.

Somebody must know something.

Ken VE3HLD, So Phisai, Thailand OK18sc

• Unless your user used the URL my_kiwi:8073/?pwd=password to request a password protected channel, the Kiwi will load first on an open non-password protected channel. Perhaps a channel opened up just as he entered the password incorrectly.

There are three passwords. A "User exemption password", a "User password", and an "Admin password".

The "User exemption password", set on the Control tab, is used to override time limits, switch antennas and adjust the attenuator (if available).

The "User password", set on the Security tab, is used to access a password reserved channel if all public channels are full. The timeout limit appears to still apply if connected via this password.

• Two different user-access passwords on two different pages on the Admin area....lovely.

OK, I have given him passwords for each instance, though I think he'll prefer the User Password rather than User Exemption. I can just remove the time limitation for the time he needs it....and will remind him about the URL syntax. I'm sure I forgot to tell him about the ? before pwd.

I don't recall seeing any of this on the KiwiSDR website. What little I did find was vague and didn't explain the different user levels.

Many thanks!

• Another question, if you please.

I still don't understand which is the private/reserved channel? Or is it just that if I watch during a busy period I will never see all four channels in use unless my user has logged on with his User Password?

Is that how it's supposed to work?

Thanks again,