The KiwiSDR 2 online store is open for orders! Please visit kiwisdr.nz

SSH port

Hi John,

I'd like to remotely SSH to a couple of KiWis on other sites, but for various reasons I don't wish to use the usual port 22.

Would it be possible to add an admin option to specify an alternative SSH port number and also for security purposes, provide the ability to enable or disable it as required, so that port forwarding can be permanently enabled on the router by the IT admin, but it's not possible to connect to the SSH port unless it has been activated for the duration of the session in the KiWi admin screen.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

Comments

• Martin,
    root@kiwisdr:~# cd /etc/ssh
    root@kiwisdr:/etc/ssh# vi sshd_config

# What ports, IPs and protocols we listen for
    Port 232
    Port 22

Ron
    KA7U
  • Hi Ron,

Would that remain set upon reboot or after updates ?

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • Martin,
    It should stay. I don't think the updates change the system files. Only the files for the KiwiSDR, which are located in /root directory. Even a system update should not change the ssh_config file, unless it was a complete restore. But Jon is the responsible party when he changes things, he could make changes I haven't imagined.
    Ron
    KA7U
  • IT IS PERSISTANT
  • Martin,
    I didn't mention this but you need to restart ssh after you change the sshd_config file. Rebooting the KiwiSDR is probably the easiest way to restart ssh.
    Ron
    KA7U
  • you can use this command systemctl restart ssh.service from the console window of the kiwi admin
    KA7U