Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

External Programs, what do you use

There are various decoders and filter programs to use. 

SpecLab, fldigi, and ARGO are what I am currently working with?

Comments

• edited November 2017
    Hi,
    i am using.
    ALE_32 -> MIL-STD 188
    DREAM211 -> DRM
    EasyPal -> DigiSSTV
    fldigi -> RTTY, CW,...
    MMSSTV -> SSTV
    RXSSTV -> SSTV
    MUTLIPSK -> RTTY, CW, SSTV, DGPS, ...
    NAVTEX -> Navtex
    Opera 1.6.5 -> Opera ELF, VLF
    PC-HFDL 2.042 -> HFDL
    SoDiRa -> 77.5 khz Clock
    sorcerer 1.0.1 -> STANAG, EFR, DGPS, ...
    WSJT-X -> WSPR, FT8, JT65,... (PSKREPORTER)
    KiwiSDR -> WSPR
    UISS 5.4 with SoundModem UZ7HO -> AFSK

cu Dirk

WA2ZKD
  • Looks like IQ mode works with CW Skimmer: 

• That's one of the reasons I was asking about wider IQ BW
  • Hello,

can someone translate that ... Google doesn't work. Or the other way round: I connected CW Skimmer with a VAC. It worked only with a 3 kHz bandwidth. Which radio in skimmer do I have to select to get more bandwidth for the CW- Skimmer.

Hajo
  • You have to select "IQ" mode which is the button on the Kiwi control panel to the right of "NBFM". By default IQ mode gives you 10 kHz of passband (+/- 5 kHz around the carrier/tuning frequency) compared to the narrow default passbands of the other modes.
  • Well since you asked... :smile: I use the various decoding programs I've written for SSTV, FAX, DGPS, etc. https://www.blackcatsystems.com/

Be sure to check out my KiwiSDR sound client python script which connects to a KiwiSDR (local or remote) and streams the audio to a virtual audio cable so you can feed it into the decoding program of your choice: https://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/kiwiSdr-sound-client-virtual-audio-device.html
  • Thanks you jks and Chris,

@jks: Yes I found that out and was able to root the stream to the skimmer. But the signals looked strange. It kind of worke, but the signal strength was too high and I didn't find a way to reduce the level. I had a look at the design documentation you provided, but understood only partly what kind of stream is coming. It doesn't seem to be the IQ-Stream, which other SDR provide. There is an FFT which is interpreted by the browser to the waterfall and the spectrum and there is some sort of audio stream which is "pushed up" from to 8 to 44 Kbps. Is it right that with IQ-Mode you get an audio-stream with a bandwidth of 10 kHz or is it sort of a IQ-Signal, which can be treated with other digital software. Or did I get it completely wrong?

@Chris: Nice to meet you again. Yes I found your solution and it looked like it is the solution which I was looking for. But I am still proting my programming envirement from Linux to Windows. And I have to sort that out before trying your solution. But I will check it out for sure.

I also tried to find a solution to integrate my own frequency list (like Eibi) but found no solution.

Thanks for the help

Hajo DL1SDZ
  • IQ mode is indeed an IQ stream with I-data on one of the stereo channels and Q-data on the other. It works fine. Otherwise things like the Dream DRM decoder wouldn't work. There is nothing to stop you from listening to IQ data as stereo audio (if the passband falls within the audible range). It sounds like DSB but with a strange pseudo-stereo effect. In the middle of a bunch of CW signals is sort of sounds like each CW tone has a different left-right spacial location.

You might be confusing passband (bandwidth) and sample rate. The Kiwi audio channel has a maximum bandwidth of 12 kHz (20.25 kHz in 3-channel mode) and the passband can be adjusted to be any width within that range (e.g. a 10 Hz wide CW passband or a 12 kHz AM passband). But the sample rate differs depending on several factors. In the Javascript code on the browser the audio is re-sampled to 44.1 or 48 kHz to meet the requirements of the host computer's audio system. But this does not change the maximum passband/bandwidth the Kiwi can achieve. This increased sample rate is generally what "audio jack" software sees. The story is slightly different if using the kiwiclient/kiwirecorder software instead of a browser. But that's a whole different topic.

Also, the Kiwi waterfall and spectrum have nothing to do with the audio. That's why you can tune he audio and waterfall independently of each other.
  • Thanks jks,

right to the point ... (but not astonishing when you hear the master's voice ;-)).

It works but still the signal level for the skimmer is far to high. When I mute the speaker, then the waterfall has a deep blue colour, But when I advance the volume just a little bit, everything is light blue and the noise is also interpreted. I will play around, but haven't found the right knob to control the level in IQ - mode.

Hajo
  • Ups, I found it:

I had to lower the threshold of the AGC.

Hajo