Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

Kiwi Is Announcing Weird Address - 142.800.0(12)9.(12)00 [when directly connected to laptop]

edited October 2019 in Problems and Issues
Greetings All
My Kiwi is seriously confused. It is blinking-out the following address - 142.800.0(12)9.(12)00 where the number in brackets is
included in one or more of the 12-address digit ###.###.###.### positions.
The unit was working fine prior to shutting it down but now it appears to be not working correctly at power-up.
Reinstalling the software (even pressing the reset button before power-up and releasing after the first LED is illuminated) results
in the same suspect address.

Looks like a dead Kiwi. Any thoughts/observations out there in Kiwi-land ?

73 Dick/w7wkr

Comments

• jksjks
    edited September 2019
    Maybe it's just a bug in the ip address LED routine. What happens if you use a browser on my.kiwisdr.com or kiwisdr.com/scan ?

After a power up do you get the usual "heartbeat" double-flash on LED0? Do you have green and yellow Ethernet LEDs on?
  • Hello JKS

Thanks for the reply. At power-up after lots of flashing, the LED3 (binary-8) double-blinks
    for a while before blinking the address.

Green and Blue Ethernet LED's are active. I will mess around with the browser at the websites you provided and will respond tomorrow with whatever happens.

73 Dick/w7wkr
  • The my.kiwisdr.com is a great addition, single click and it should present your local network links (access, and admin links) if the Kiwi has booted.
    It is very simple, no "messing" works well from my experience.
  • Hello JKS
    Well, I ran both of your suggested websites and nothing found using my.kiwisdr.com. The kiwisdr,com/scan/ site ran thru the 192.168.1.0===>255 and found NONE as the final scan
    result.

After another "power-up' the Kiwi is blinking out 142.800.0(13)7.(12)000 (the last block of three has FOUR digits followed by the cylon-sweep and the rest of the repeat cycle stuff) so there is no way to enter such an address based on my knowledge of software address data entry.

I repeated the power-up and got yet another address ===> 142.800.0(10)9.(12)000 (again the extra digit at the end.) All of this with the Kiwi directly connected to the computer.

Powering-up with the Kiwi disconnected from the computer, the address flashed-out is
    142.800.00(13).(12)000

Looks like I have a bad Kiwi.

73 Dick/w7wkr
  • jksjks
    edited September 2019
    When your Kiwi was last working did you get to it by using an ip address? e.g. 192.168.1.123:8073 If you try that ip address can you get to the admin page? e.g. 192.168.1.123:8073/admin

When you re-installed the software from sd card did the LED patterns progress as described in the documentation? Did the process end with the Kiwi shutting down? (all 4 blue LEDs dark, Ethernet green/yellow LEDs off -- only the power LED to the right of the Ethernet connector lit).

And you have _both_ green and yellow Ethernet connector LEDs on after booting the Kiwi and running it for a minute or so?

-------

The fact that you are seeing the Kiwi LED pattern where it displays the ip address means the Kiwi software is working. The Kiwi hardware board has no influence on that particular process at all. If the Ethernet on the Beagle board were damaged then it is possible for there to be issues displaying the ip address. There have been known failures of the Beagle Ethernet due to suspected static discharge issues (possibly induced by nearby lightning).

How long have you had this Kiwi? Where did you buy it from? What is the serial number written in the white silkscreen box on top of the Kiwi board?
  • Just a thought,

Could this be another power supply issue ?

I've seen something similar in the past, when the power supply I'd been using turned out to be not quite up to the job.

It worked fine for a while until I started having intermittent and unexplained network (and other) problems.

Swapping the power supply resolved the issue. It may be worthwhile trying another just to rule it out.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • Greetings All !

Well, problem SOLVED! I finally went back to basics and reconnected the KiwiSDR to my router instead of directly to a laptop. At power-up it started blinking out 192.168.001.103

When that address was accessed the KiwiSDR responded immediately. SOMEHOW, I had forgotten the KiwiSDR liked to work thru a router instead of a direct connection to the laptop.

Thank you - All - very much for the time/thought you expended to help me.

73 Dick/w7wkr

PS - Anyone have a good document I can study to fully understand Networks and Subnet stuff ?
  • Okay. So it sounds like I need to test the direct laptop connection stuff again. It was always a little problematic.

The Kiwi docs have a section on network configuration, but it is a complex topic: http://kiwisdr.com/quickstart/index.html#id-network
    The subsection "Allowing public access on port 8073" gives an example of how IP addresses on a subnet work: http://kiwisdr.com/quickstart/index.html#id-net-port
  • JKS - Hello again !

Where you say ===>
    "Okay. So it sounds like I need to test the direct laptop connection stuff again. It was always a little problematic.

The Kiwi docs have a section on network configuration, but it is a complex topic: http://kiwisdr.com/quickstart/index.html#id-network
    The subsection "Allowing public access on port 8073" gives an example of how IP addresses on a subnet work: http://kiwisdr.com/quickstart/index.html#id-net-port"

I already have that quickstart stuff up on my computer. I've been looking for possible explanations in that documentation and did not recognize the possibilities
    you directly pointed out. I will study that material.

Again, many thanks for your assistance.

73 Dick/w7wkr

PS - N6GN, I'm getting there S L O W L Y db