Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

S meter extension - prevent clearing? [fixed in v1.318]

The s meter extension is a great tool, I use it frequently. One thing I do is take two readings, first a baseline on a nearby "empty" frequency to get an estimate of my overall background noise level, then one on the station of interest.

When I change frequency, the graph clears, which is probably useful to many users. Is there a way to prevent this? Sometimes it would be nice to see both signals on the same graph.
G8JNJHB9TMC

Comments

• I use the S-Meter extension a lot and would also find this useful.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • v1.318  August 27, 2019
        FAX extension:
            Add LPM (lines per minute) selection. Automatically set 60 LPM for JJC/JSC
            Frequency list corrections; added XSG Shanghai; removed BMF Taipei
        S-meter extension:
            Don't clear graph on frequency change. Instead draw vertical division marker: red when
            frequency change, green when mode change.
        Better detection of missing audio panner API on some browsers.

PowernumptyHB9TMCChrisSmolinskibensonG8JNJ
  • Perfect! Thank you.
  • Hi John,

Thanks for adding that it's really useful.

Having played wit it for a while I think it would be even better if it was possible to add a 'pause' button, so that you could halt the scrolling whilst you made any changes to the antenna or whatever, and then be able to restart it again from where it halted. This would permit 'side by side' comparisons without a large gap in the middle.

e.g measure noise floor, tune to signal and measure level, Pause, change antenna, restart, measure new signal level, tune back to noise floor and stop (or pause again).

You would then be able to directly compare the signal levels and respective noise floors between the two antennas under test.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • I suppose you could just drop the speed, make the change, bring it back up?
  • Pause would be nice, so would the ability to arbitrarily add a marker when you wanted to by clicking a button ("I just changed the antenna", etc)

Sorry, jks :smile:
  • >
    >I suppose you could just drop the speed, make the change, bring it back up?
    >

Yes I tried that but unless you remember the original speed setting you used or if you move the slider too slowly, it messes up the time scale.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • jksjks
    edited August 2019
    v1.319  August 28, 2019
        Fixed bug in audio FFT mode. If you visited a new Kiwi for which no FFT WF max/min cookie
            values had ever been stored you'd always get a black waterfall until clicking "Auto Scale"
            and then reloading the page.
        FAX extension:
            Now has a 2k line scroll-back buffer.
            Added phasing and autostop capabilities. Phasing will automatically align (shift) the image
            horizontally if the phasing signal at the beginning of the transmission is clear enough.
            Autostop will stop the image buffer updating if the fax start/stop tones are clear enough.
        S-meter extension:
            Now has stop/start and "mark" buttons.

The phasing feature seems to work okay the first time (after extension start up) but after that it only works occasionally. So there is more work to be done.
    bensonPowernumptyG8JNJ
  • Awesome, thank you (again). Now of course I think of something else... no really, this is easy (famous last words). How about adding some more intervals to the marker rate. When the speed is slow, even at the 1 minute spacing they are bunched together. Perhaps 2, 5, 10 minutes? Not sure if more are needed?
  • Hi John,

Thanks for adding pause to the S-Meter, it's made it a much more useful tool.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • edited August 2019
    BTW, the non-averaging function is beautiful too:

Here is a recording of the evening hour during the opening of the 630m band, where the ground-wave QRN is replaced with sky-wave QRN.
  • @Chris: will be fixed today..
  • Hi John,

Any chance of 15min and hour markers too ?

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • jksjks
    edited August 2019
    Will be in today's v1.320:
    	marker_s:      [ '1 sec', '5 sec', '10 sec', '15 sec', '30 sec', '1 min', '5 min', '10 min', '15 min', '30 min', '1 hr' ],

G0LUJHB9TMCG8JNJChrisSmolinski
  • Superb :-)

Thanks (again) John.