Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

Audio stop/start button for users, effectively a self-kick button?

I think it may be useful for users to be able to stop and start the audio stream (effectively a self-kick), without having to navigate away from the Kiwi interface and ideally without losing the waterfall contents.

Of late, I've been navigating to my own and other Kiwis, and I've been trying a/b comparisons with antennas and LNAs and other such items, while trying to get to the "perfect" antenna setup for my location. It would be quite useful to be able to stop the audio stream to my browser from the user interface. It would also be useful to be able to restart the audio stream, with a wishlist of being able to have the waterfall persist if nothing else has changed on the settings. I see no issue if the stopping of the audio means that that user is no longer active on the Kiwi, and that channel is now available for another audio stream.

Currently, there appears to be no way to stop the stream short of actively kicking from the admin interface, or navigating away from the Kiwi interface completely, and losing the waterfall contents.

This would effectively mirror the behaviour of SDR-Console, when starting and stopping receivers, where the spectrum and waterfall appear to be paused and unpaused when the receiver is stopped.

Comments

• Hi,

I'm not 100% sure what you are proposing, but I often try to do similar sort of things for antenna testing and usually resort to either taking screen grabs or using the S-Meter graphing option.

Ideally I'd like to be able to use a modified spectrum peak hold function to be able to make A/B comparisons over time.

http://forum.kiwisdr.com/discussion/1550/spectrum-other-improvements/p1

But understandably, John is not so keen on the idea and I'm not pushing it, as it seems that I'm the only one who's ever likely to use it.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • I get it, I often kick myself off my own Kiwi (or disconnect/shut it down) between changes to have a reference frame, then use the green copy shortcut to start a new instance.
    Flicking between browser tabs is a great way to visually compare changes.
  • Pressing the mute button and setting WF-rate to "off" would do something similar.
  • Ha, that's a handy trick to compare waterfalls by switching tabs.

I now understand the original question, and agree it would be a worthwhile addition.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • One way to do this now is to bring up the browser debugging window and click the "stop Javascript" button. That will stop the audio and freeze waterfall updates. If you reenable js within a "short" amount of time it will even recover and keep going (otherwise the connection is lost).
    Powernumptycathalferris