Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

Detecting overloads when using "kiwirecorder ... --dt-sec=120"

At a quiet receive site like KPH I have found 10 dB of additional RF gain (with an AM band blocking filter) enhances the Kiwi's ability to detect all the WSPR signals in bands above 10 Mhz. While I have not observed any overloading with this additional gain, the data produced by these Kiwis is being used by ionospheric scientists who require systems which log any such internally generated errors.
So, I wonder if there is any status information in the .wav files created by kiwirecorder?
Alternatively, is there an overload counter or other indication of recent overload conditions I could access from the kiwi's command line or through the 8073/status page?

Comments

• edited July 2019
    An issue I foresee is that a single "fire" of the OV may not align with any gain compression or other phenomena. I have observed that here and John has mentioned it over the years (wow, it's been years now)
  • Maybe you would have to mark collected data as errored for a time period either side of a 0V event occurring ?

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • Ideally the 'total number of overloads' count value would be put in the wav file header.
    But I think that overloads are rare enough on my systems that polling a count value in the ':8073/status' page every few minutes would be enough information for my needs.
  • any study of the ionosphere would likely ignore "flyers", high or low, and those could simply be ignored in the logged data. I have suffered through a lot of OV stuff here and am not sure that factoring it into such a study would work. For example how do you differentiate between a "flicker" and a 2 sec burst where only the later would effect the agc etc. With a counter, they both show as 1 occurance