Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

v1.290/291/292 software updates

jksjks
edited June 2019 in KiwiSDR Discussion
From the CHANGE_LOG file:
v1.290  June 12, 2019
    UI changes for devices with small screens: (phones or tablets)
        Clicking control panel navbar "Off" icon repeatedly will toggle the top bar visibilities.
            Similar to how 'y' shortcut key functions with desktop browsers.
        For narrow phone-width screens the control panel is scaled to fit the screen width
            if the phone is being held in "portrait" orientation when connecting to the Kiwi.

Support for "masked" frequencies where the audio is muted and the waterfall blanked.
        Designed to help deter users who camp on particular frequencies for long periods of time.
        As admin create DX label(s) with a type value of "masked". When any part of the current
        passband crosses into the masked area the audio is muted. The mode of the label determines
        the width of the masked/blanked area (as seen on the waterfall). Custom label passbands apply
        so you can precisely control which frequencies are masked.

S-meter extension now has selectable averaging. Previously, when the measurement speed
        speed was low, the multiple S-meter samples were plotted along the same x-axis position.
        Also, the speed slider now selects an inverse power of two samples (was linear).
        The maximum measurement interval (1/4096) is now roughly 1.5 minutes.

Support for cloning Kiwi configuration files from another running Kiwi. See new user interface
        on the admin config tab. This is intended for owners of multiple Kiwis (yes they exist!)
        that want an easy way to replicate an existing configuration before further customization.
        All of the relevant files in /root/kiwi.config are cloned including kiwi.json, admin.json,
        dx.json and config.js (band definitions). Option to clone only the dx.json file.

Better trackpad/mouse-wheel waterfall zoom behavior.
        Previously the trackpad response was too sensitive causing the zoom to go full max/min
        instantly for a small trackpad movement even though a mouse wheel worked reasonably.

Proxy support for variable port number.
        Previously only one Kiwi could be proxied per public ip address.
        Now multiple Kiwis with different local port numbers can use the proxy service behind
        a router with a single public ip/global-port. The Kiwis are differentiated by their
        host names on the proxy. E.g. mykiwi1.proxy.kiwisdr.com:8073/ and
        mykiwi2.proxy.kiwisdr.com:8073/ (note both port 8073) where mykiwi1 could be on
        local network port 8073 and mykiwi2 on local port 8074.
KA7UPowernumptyG8JNJChrisSmolinskiHB9TMC

Comments

• All good! I appreciate the mobile phone interface improvement!
    Ron
    KA7U
    mbott
  • The echoing of black dots when entering passwords will return in the next release.
  • Thanks! The s meter extension is something I previously hadn't had the chance to try, I am playing around with it now, looks like it could scratch a few of my itches.
  • I'll second the comment on the mobile phone interface improvement. Nice!

--
    Mike
  • v1.291  June 13, 2019
        Fix problems with the last release:
            Deleting masked frequency labels.
            Missing echoing of black dots in password fields.
            A single step of the mouse wheel didn't always zoom.
            Reduce unnecessary cases of "click to start" being displayed.

PowernumptyHB9TMC
  • Don't use the masked frequency feature with 20 kHz Kiwis. There is some strange interaction issue at the moment.
  • jksjks
    edited June 2019
    v1.292  June 16, 2019
        Masked frequencies will not be applied when a valid time limit exemption password is given in
            the URL, e.g. mykiwi.com:8073/? ... &pwd=the_password (or &password=the_password)
            Connections from the local network (normally privileged) still see the effect of the
            masked frequencies.  This is so admins can setup and test masked labels from the main UI.
            The time limit exemption password is set on the control tab of the admin page.
            This is separate, and not to be confused with, the user password on the admin security tab
            which controls access to the sdr channels.

Fixed a bunch of masked frequency related bugs including a problem when running in 20 kHz mode.

If a Kiwi has time limits or masked frequencies configured an icon will be included in the
            status line appearing on sdr.hu and kiwisdr.com/public (i.e. alongside the existing icons
            indicating 20 kHz mode, GPS enabled and the antenna switch extension available).
            An hour-glass icon if inactivity or 24 hour time limits are configured.
            A red, circle-slash "no entry" icon if masked frequencies are configured.

Keep GPS az/el background image from flashing with latest versions of Firefox and Safari.

Update TDoA help button panel to indicate current mode setting is ignored (IQ data is always used).

Ran clang static analyzer over entire source code base. Found a few bugs.
            Also ran the clang address sanitizer for a while and fixed a few memory leaks.

PowernumptyHB9TMC
  • While you are playing with the mouse/keyboard and waterfall controls....

Can you add and option to let the mouse wheel control the up/down tuning of the waterfall rather than the zoom?
    You could add a radio button on one of the web gui panels or on one of the web admin screens to select whether the mouse wheel tunes up and down or zooms in and out...
    It is really nice to be able to control the tuning with the mouse wheel.

Thanks for all your excellent work!
  • There are three tuning steps assigned to each mode. Which one would you use for mouse scrolling? I suppose opinions would differ.
  • This is something I would add in the user preferences panel and not the main UI. We are at a stage where the 90/90 rule applies: 90% of the users don't use 90% of the features.
  • My personal preference is it to have it set for 100 hz, but with options for 500 and 1K.
    If you want to get really fancy you can and an option for "accelerate" where after 10 or 20 mouse wheel clicks in one direction you shift into a larger step size (start at 100 and then shift to 1K if the user keeps rolling the wheel for example).
    I agree that it is a good feature for the user preferences.

Thanks for looking into this.