Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

WSPR results

near-realtime WSPR spot rankings are available here. http://www.wa2zkd.net:8088/

Congrats to the various kiwi owners that have top rankings, KD2OM, OE9GHV, KPH, KA7OEI and others
HB9TMCPowernumpty

Comments

• Excellent! Nice job, that's actually very useful.
    Could you additionally do a "rolling" 24h-version instead of the counts since 00Z? And maybe a 1h version for the thrill ;)
    I think the labels for "60" and "60eu" are interchanged though. At least it doesn't match the definition in kiwiwspr, where I've only set 60eu.
  • I'm not very competitive but did turn 20m back on to save scrolling.
  • I'll not likely do any other versions, for now. Freq are labeled per http://wsprnet.org/drupal/node/7352.
  • I had noticed my antenna set up was weaker on a few frequencies (previous loop anyway) so didn't bother to log those, with this layout it is interesting to go for numbers of spots regardless of lagging behind the guys with full size dipoles or tuned antennas.
    Managed to game it, er I mean "tune my band selection" to go from 42nd place to about 10th.
  • HB9TMC, see your mail here
    HB9TMC
  • The frequencies on the site match those in kiwiwspr, (5.364700-5.366200 -> 60eu) but on your site it is labeled as 60m.
  • I will review and fix as appropriate. Also, see your mail
  • Ha, I'm 320 today with SWUKSDR/2 but not too bad considering I'm only running the KiWi decoder on 137, 475, 1838 & 28,126KHz.

And to think that a few years ago, using an amateur tranceiver running 24/7 on practically all bands, I was consistently in the top 3 world wide. I must have been more competitive back then :-)

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • It's a little like shooting fish in a barrel now with the Kiwi, fancy adding 24/7 fully automatic logging for band X, edit a text file, save.
    Compared to the amount of effort previously needed to get good results it seems like cheating, maybe it is just an "off the shelf" service now adding ears out there for people who want to test TX whereas before it was a bit more of a radio and hardware challenge.
  • Powernumpty comments: "maybe it is just an "off the shelf" service now adding ears out there for people who want to test TX whereas before it was a bit more of a radio and hardware challenge."

Look a little more closely at the very top spotters and the spread from the "center of mass" and I think you'll find that these things still matter a lot. In particular, a few dB of difference in the noise floor can make a very large difference in spots. Low take-off-angle and good grounds in the far-field, e.g. salt water, can help too. Some of the tools we are now using to measure this with KiwiSDRs are helping to highlight these and make discovering problems and even improving stations easier.
  • I do think it moves the focus somewhat, but in a good way.
    I've had a couple of shots at WSPR, ages ago, setting up single band antennas then finding the area had a very poor take off for that band or just hitting a quiet spell for another band/antenna, I'd never have had the time or energy to go through many physical antennas and equipment while trying to allow for propagation so gave up quickly. The "Service" bit I was referring to to was mainly the RX and reporting back end, it still needs antenna work and noise reduction but the work and variability of getting the signal from a receiver, to correctly set up software, then on to the net is wrapped up so well now it's all about the physics.

The Kiwi has been invaluable in tracking noise down here, I could never had afforded a realtime full HF spectrum analyser so would not have spent the time learning about this particular case and how to reduce it's effects, what I don't know is how to quickly tell a low noise setup from a comparatively deaf one.

I'm still trying to work out how to compare two antennas and receivers at the same location using WSPR, I have nulls at 90 degrees to each other and two different noise signatures through the day, I might have to run a second set of wspr receivers without uploading spots just logging decodes locally then allow for the nulls to spot the right antenna for the band.
  • Use different reporter calls
  • Could do but for preference would like to avoid uploading duplicate spots.
    I suppose I could use something that is transmitting microwatts in a digital mode a couple of kilometers away and decode it here on both, wouldn't help with the nulls but could angle those so they are equal angle off the direction. Dig out my rarely used Flex-1500 and see if that still works.
  • You might be suprised on how many people run multiple receivers using the same callsign and upload multiple spots. Your use of multiple calls for technical purposes is legit IMO. BTW what callsign do you report as?
  • I have reversed the 60M designators. The count should correct itself on the next cycle. 60eu=5.364 60m=5.287
  • M0AQY is the only call I use, have fallen down the list a bit now but to be honest considering the real estate some people have access to I don't feel so bad with my bicycle wheels and bolts contraptions.
    I suppose I could use another SDR on the same antenna too, it's funny after having used the Kiwi for a while I tend to forget there are others, when I do use them I find myself always wanting to "zoom out".
  • I have a single Pixel Loop in a residental area...
  • OK that's surprising, mind you residential over the pond is often equivalent to UK's country estates ;-)
  • my yard is 20X40M neighbors 5M away on each side
  • Beginning to sound like a Monty Python sketch...

5m, 5m! my whole garden is only 5m wide, you've got it easy, when I was a lad they made us wind baluns with our toes, blindfold, while doing our times tables in Morse using only our forehead on a (sharpened) rock.

BTW the WSPR stats thing is quite addictive, connected both Kiwi's to the same antenna so I can work on the other then plotted graph lines to see if I could see trends for the various bands.
    Thanks.
  • Yes. the stats are addicitve and quite useful for scheduleing if you are using wsprdaemon. The stats are gathered used a headless Odroid XU4 running Ubuntu Linux that is here in my house. There's no HD. The sorting etc. is done in system RAM for speed while the results and logs are kept in the emmc ram storage.
  • I have added other data analysis to http://www.wa2zkd.net:8088 If you need a progress listing please advise. The progress analysis greatly aids in system design and scheduling
    PowernumptyHB9TMC
  • edited May 2019
    I'm not taking it too seriously as I don't want to tie up my Kiwi solely for WSPR but it is interesting to see grey-line band surges also when other stations and locations push ahead.

Oh and whoever is beaming that "You need another Kiwi" voice into my head, just stop now.
  • but you do!
  • This is why you NEED another Kiwi. You wouldn't have seen the grey line correlation, without all those bands running. And you DO want listen to those bands as well, don't you?
    I count at least 13 WSPR bands you simply must have running which means you need at least TWO Kiwis. I'm thinking you really ought to have three...
  • You're not helping.

I do have spare BBG or two now I think about it, so just capes...

BTW the voice sound like smeagol "It needs it, WSPR"
  • "We wants it, we does" :)

But you'll have to get your own since I'm not willing to part with any of my FOUR...
    (we're all going to need to go into therapy soon)
  • I have 3 Kiwi.... 1 X public 3-ch 2 X public 8-ch but have 14 wspr ch ruuning across those 2
  • Kiwi users anonymous. “I started with just one, used to flick about the bands until someone mentioned the scope and changing the peak hold, I spent hours on that tracking down fleeting spikes, then came the noise chasing, I knew I had a QRM issue but had no idea how it would take over my life, I would come home from work and obsess about the lower end of the waterfall, you know the really dark stuff. Later I realised one Kiwi wasn't doing it for me any more, I couldn’t listen, share it online and do the noise thing so I got another from Massdrop, waiting was sweet agony but worth it. Later it occurred to me I’d not powered up another radio for ages, that’s when I knew I was a KiwiSDR addict.”
  • my name is Jim, I have a problem.....