Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

squelch threshold in Kiwirecorder

Would someone kindly explain to me how the squelch threshold parameter works in Kiwirecorder? I tried setting it by using the standard S unit to dB relationship (6 dB/ S unit), but it doesn't seem to be working. Here's an example:

I am monitoring a rather weak station on a certain frequency, say 4.5 Mhz. After careful observation beforehand, I notice that the best signal, clarity and least noise happen when the station signal reaches S7 on the KiwiSDR online S meter. So, I set squelch threshold for 42 dB (7 S units x 6 db/ S unit). My logic tells me that anything under that signal level (S7) shouldn't be recorded, but that's not it appears to be working. So, how does it work and how would I set it up in this example?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Comments

• Hi @Jon5

the squelch threshold is relative to the moving average of the field strength and not absolute. When I use the squelch I usually set the threshold to either 10 or 15 dB.

Christoph
  • Thanks, @Christoph Unfortunately, I was hoping for a bit more precision. My own experiments yesterday didn't reveal any specific settings that worked best. The station I'm trying to record is often below the noise floor, but has periods during the day where is reaches S5-S8 during which times I'd like to have Kiwirecorder capture it, but I wasn't able to determine any squelch settings that would start recording reliably.