Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

WSPR, who is running it?

Are you running wspr? If so, how.... the extension, the AI6VN code, an external app? What is your reporter Callsign?

I run Rob's code on 2 kiwis and do 14 bands as WA2ZKD

Comments

• N6GN/K, N6GN/K2 & N6GN/K3 from Fort Collins, Colorado running 5-21 receivers on 1-3 different antennas, using AI6VN scripts.
    WA2ZKD
  • jksjks
    edited February 2019
    I should probably email Rob directly, but how many people are using the new wsprdaemon as opposed to the previous kiwiwspr script? Has it been released someplace or is it still in beta testing? The version I include in kiwiclient is kiwiwspr.1.1g.sh. Is that really the latest publicly available version?

Thanks
  • Rob is out of town for a bit so may not be able to indicate public availability for a short while.
    Per his comments I gather that several of us are running v 2.2d which includes support for merged receivers.
  • AFAIK, he considers it still to be in beta test. KD2OM and I have been working with him on a number of refinements and bug fixes, some still open.
  • I have the WSPR extension autostart on the LF band. I use N8OOU as my reporter callsign. I have on occasion autostarted a second instance on MF using the same callsign. That configuration has worked well for me.

Mike N8OOU
  • That should work fine on those "low volume" bands. The BBG can't handle high volume bands and that's why Rob developed his external method that can handle 1000+ an hour
  • edited February 2019
    In addition to the intended purpose of being a propagation reporter, some people are doing an informal "wspr challenge", who can spot the most. Since some reporters are using multiple receivers on the same band and report each as a spot, their spot total is somewhat tainted. I believe that KB9AMG's reporting of a sum of band uniques is more reflective of both the propagation and a receiving reporter's station capability, see:

http://mardie4.100webspace.net/wspr/day27/top_wspr_spotters_by_number_of_spots_day27.txt

I have some similar data I gather and here is KD2OM's results for yesterday, 27 Feb. Steve (2OM) is typically in the top 3 worldwide and #1 in North America almost daily for the last month or so. He does it with 2 KiwiSDR dedicated to wspr. Each kiwi has it's own antenna system, appropriate for the bands it covers.

• edited March 2019
    I'm running kiwiwspr v1.1g. I use all 8 channels for WSPR.
    73 HB9TMC
    WA2ZKD
  • 2 Kiwis - 14 bands using Kiwiwspr v1.1g.
    WA2ZKD
  • edited March 2019
    Callsign: W3PM - I'm running 2 Kiwis using separate stealth antennas reporting on 14 bands using kiwiwspr v1.1g
    WA2ZKD
  • Have six WSPR receivers going here, switching between 160/80/60/40/30/20 & 40/30/20/17/15/10 at around 10 & 24 GMT.

I've seen sometimes on the status page that I've spotted WSPR on 10m, but nothing shows in the wsprnet.org database. Anyone else notice some of their WSPR spots don't seem to make it?

73, VR2BG.
  • There can be a delay of several to many minutes before a spot from Kiwi WSPR shows up in the wsprnet.org database. It also might just be a bug..
  • When I've noticed this, it's been so long after the spot in question that it can't be seen locally in the log...

How often it happens, how many spots don't make it, if it happens on other bands, or if there is any pattern to it happening I can't say as the wsprnet.org database files are too big for what I've got to play with them & I haven't had the spare time to figure out a way around that.

But I can say it definitely happens (yeah, I know - that's a lot of help ;^).

73, VR2BG.
  • I'm running the KiWi WSPR extension on two of mine at different locations

Southwest UK WEB SDR reporting as G8JNJ/2 and Kernow reporting as G8JNJ/3

Using these frequencies

137.50 kHz
    475.70 kHz
    1838.10 kHz
    3570.10 kHz
    3594.10 kHz
    28126.10 kHz

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • At the Northern Utah WebSDR, we have 14 "receivers" spread across three 8-channel Kiwis, leaving the first two (full-bandwidth waterfall) channels free for users. This gives us six channels with full waterfalls and four more with the "audio only" waterfalls.

Using the callsign "ka7oei-1" with the AI6VN "wsprdaemon" scripting, we have active 24/7 WSPR sessions on 2200, 630, 160, 80 (2 sessions), 60 (2 sessions), 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10 meters. At some point I'm reconsidering running only one session on 80 meters (dropping the deprecated frequency) and dropping at least one of the 60 meter channels. The processing for these "receivers" is done by an on-site machine (one of the on-site WebSDR servers - #3, actually) which is a box running Ubuntu. FWIW, it takes about 15-20 seconds for WSPRD running on this machine (quad core, 3 gig) to crunch and post the results from all receivers.

We were running WSPR on the Kiwis themselves for quite a while (fewer bands) but found the performance of the outboard processing to be better (many spots were being missed on the "busy" bands because of too little time available between cycles for the Kiwi to complete) and it negatively impacted the experience of the users - particularly if we tried to run more than 2 WSPR channels or so - causing the waterfall to slow considerably and make the Web-based UI seem "sluggish".
    WA2ZKD
  • Question/comment:

At the Northern Utah WebSDR site (ka7oei-1 on WSPRNET) we have three KiwiSDRs: #'s 1 and 2 each have 6 wsprdaemon sockets and #3 has just 2.

While #1 will immediately acquire GPS signals when restarted, #2 almost never does - at least until I kill the wsprdaemon sockets and restart them.

Questions:

- Why might #1 reliably acquire, despite the 6 wsprdaemon sockets, but #2 does not.

- I've considered modifying the wsprdaemon script to stop for twice a day so that any KiwiSDRs that had rebooted can get a chance to re-acquire GPS: What might be the best way to do this?

- Any other suggestions on how to work around this?

Thanks,

Clint
    KA7OEI
  • Here, I have #1 and #2 running 7X wsprdaemon and #3 not, just public access. All three run from a split common 40 db gain GPS antenna. I see nothing like what you see.
  • edited February 2020
    I'm running wspr on two of my Kiwi channels, on 40 and 20 meters as G0BZBSWL. I'm pretty certain that wsjtx decoded more spots on the same antenna on 40 meters than the wspr extension does. I was wondering about doing the decoding with wsjtx on a raspberry pi by logging into channels on the kiwi as a user on the local network to compare decode performance.

I also do wspr tx with a hundred milliwatts on 20 meters at a different location so as not to kill the kiwi's front end under my callsign G0BZB.
  • See wsprdaemon thread(s), it is exactly that, and more.
    Stu
  • Looking at the various informal wspr Challenge sites, it appears that > 1/2 of the top 20 reporters are running kiwiSDR and wsprdaemon. :-)
  • I've been running on 20 and 30M using the Kiwis WSPR extension. Best DX was a 10mW picoballoon off the coast of N. Zealand on 20M.