Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

A good GPS tip

placing the included GPS module with the Kiwi kit on a 12x12 piece of magnetic sheet metal significantly increases the sensitivity of the GPS module.
additionally, slightly tilting it away from the north/south poles of the earth that you are close to also helps.
thought i would pass this on to those who may not know this already.

Comments

• is it the mag poles, or those null coverage areas that scallop the extreme latitudes?
  • to make it simple for new folks, i left it as "magnetic poles", meaning north/south poles but yes, its the null coverage areas on the extreme latitudes that the satellites dont pass over.
    someone residing close to the equator should not have this issue though.
  • The magnetic poles are not in play here, it's the geographic poles.
  • I live at 43 deg N 77 deg W and have to use "aiming caution"
  • edited January 2019
    i edited my post to simply indicate "north/south" poles for easier comprehension for someone who may not particularly understand the technical details about GPS.
  • >
    >placing the included GPS module with the Kiwi kit on a 12x12 piece of magnetic sheet metal significantly increases the sensitivity of the >GPS module.
    >

I recently repaired a GPS 'Mushroom' antenna.

It used the same basic 'Puck' antenna with pre-amplifier that is inside the supplied GPS module.

The only difference was that it was mounted in the middle of a circular metal ground plane plate approximately 10cm in diameter, which is roughly 1/4 wavelength radius at the GPS L1 frequency of 1575.42MHz.

The included GPS antenna has a magnet on it's base which suggests that it is intended for use on a vehicle roof, which would provide a suitable ground plane. So it makes sense that placing it on a tin lid or similar conductive material, with a diameter of 10cm or more would improve the performance.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • a wife friendly GPS window sill mount might be a picture frame with a ground plane on the back, looking like a A frame from the side, with puck facing out and up out window :-)