Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

TDoA Successes

2»

Comments

• WWCR on 5935 another easy find
  • AFA/NSS MSK in Dawsonville MD on 6487
  • And another site to add to the TDoA markers list

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
    WA2ZKD
  • Done. Wikimapia is down, so I couldn't verify that way. But found an area where the Google sat map resolution had been subtly lowered (lol). But if you use street view you can easily spot dipoles and some sort of ring-shaped antenna (HF size).
  • Got Wikimapia working using a non-Google sat map, but the area is definitely not annotated. But the other sat maps (Bing, ACME, etc.) show more detail than the blurred Google map.
  • Hi John,

The site is complicated because it was a WWII fortification, possibly part of the Atlantic Wall defenses, so some of the features are confusing.

There are a lot of short lattice towers angled over at about 30 degrees to tension fan dipoles, plus at least one HF Broadband Conical Monopole

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@58.9982485,5.7187437,3a,30y,227.06h,101.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sY6_Sa3hs9q4Zm4hXM7OLEA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

plus a concrete strip with tow larger towers at each end.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@58.9963908,5.7149937,144a,35y,251.83h,45t/data=!3m1!1e3

When spotting Mil HF sites from Google satellite views (or similar) it's usually circles in the grassland where the Conical Monopoles or tower bases are sited that are the most apparent rather than trying to spot actual towers or HF yagi / log periodics.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • I think JWC is mainly a training / simulation facility.

Although the JWT site will carry NATO traffic, it's primary focus is likely to be support Norwegian defense forces.
  • jksjks
    edited September 2018
    Thanks for the links everyone. I tried creating a zoomed-in Google street view URL myself but couldn't figure it out.

Wikimapia has unfortunately been crippled by the new Google map monetization policy (their monthly bill from Google went from $1.5k/mo to $21k: http://blog.wikimapia.org) So they will either have to switch their default sat map overlay to an inferior source or require each user to enter a Google map API key to use a individual free quota.

The Kiwi stuff isn't effected by this because all the uses of Google maps (TDoA, admin GPS page) is charged against the Kiwi API key which, so far, only reaches about half its free quota limit per month.
  • Nice. Entered into the list.

Can't remember if I mentioned this, but the extension now fetches the list of reference stations from the Kiwi server every time it's run. So I can update the list independently of a software update (i.e. changes to the list can appear immediately).
  • Hi John,

Yes I had spotted that.

The only issue I sometimes find is that if I wish to bring up a known TX site onto the map, and it happens to also be a VLF site. It sometimes tunes the KiWi to the VLF frequency if the site is included in the TDoA URL string.

I think you originally added some auto tuning to some of the map markers so that folks could easily bring up the TDoA. However maybe I could suggest that these existing links are removed and perhaps replaced with TDoA URLs placed in the DX tag for that frequency.

e.g. if you open this link http://southwest.ddns.net:8073/?f=4165.10iqz11 and then click on the DHFCS DX tab.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • jksjks
    edited September 2018
    If an entry in the reference station list does not have accompanying frequency/mode information it's supposed to leave the current tuning unchanged. When I first tried your link and DX tag I thought it switched frequency somewhere in the LF band. But when I reloaded with the browser console window open to get some debugging info it didn't recur, and hasn't since. The reference entry for Crimond doesn't specify a frequency/mode.

I think the bug is that if the extension is being started via a DX tag, or URL where the "f=" parameter is present, then the freq/mode info in the reference station shouldn't override what's been previously specified. Example: URL says "f=4165.1iq&ext=tdoa,DHFCS_site", where DHFCS_site is a reference station entry that has an LF frequency/mode associated with it. And all you're really wanting is to populate the reference info in the extension but leave the freq at 4165.1.
  • Hi John,

As an example MSF, Sainte Assise, DCF39, DCF47, DCF77, DHO38 behave in that way, if you click on the green TDoA marker to include it in the results map, they tune to the frequency.

In cases where there is only one frequency in use at the site it's not so problematic, but if the sites are shared with other services, it's a nuisance.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • Well, that's a slightly different issue. When you directly click on a reference station marker (green one) that has an associated freq/mode I think it should tune to those settings. The idea was to make it easier for people to use the correct setup, particularly first-timers, when they are going for a known target. If you look at the log there are plenty of examples of people using the default IQ mode 10 kHz passband when it should be less (e.g. 100 Hz or less for MSF). Or worse, not using IQ mode at all for TDoA.
  • Hi John,

OK I've started a new thread titled "TDoA maps" to avoid cluttering up this discussion.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ