Adjustable waterfall speed enhancement - possible issue with VE3SUN's IBP monitor

Hi John,

I had a thought last night that the new adjustable waterfall speed enhancement may cause a possible issue with VE3SUN's IBP monitor.

It's OK when set to fast (I think this is the original speed), but if you slow down the waterfall the screen grabs from VE3SUN's IBP monitor don't seem to be correct.

I think the fix may be for the extension to set a default waterfall speed whilst running, but there may be other ways of implementing a fix.

I'm not sure if any of the other extensions are affected, but I guess others will say if they spot anything.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

Comments

• Hi Martin, 

I have been away for a while. I am making some changes to the scan and the automatic waterfall image save to take the new features into account.

In general the scan is OK with some fill in, except for the 1 Hz which can miss the tranmission by falling between the dits and dahs.

The autosave required a few changes, too.

Peter

• I have updated the IBP_scan features and the waterfall saving.

I would love feedback from Martin or anyone else on different browsers and devices in case there are problems.

I was thinking that a very long touch on the waterfall could bring up the context menu for those with no mouse to click. Seems pretty easy to implement. Comments? In fact, googling indicates this is pretty standard for W10 touch devices and it is mentioned for iPads as well. I have to wonder if it doesn't already work?

Thanks,
    Peter

• Hi Peter,

Unfortunately it's not working properly on the iPad.

It's the same problem as before. The first image tries to save as a full webpage and overwrites the KiWi page.

Everything else seems OK when using the PC and various browsers.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

• edited December 2017
    Thanks Martin. I had forgotten about that problem. Is that in both Safari and Chrome?

I will see if I can find a solution.

Looks like it may be related to this iOs feature http://bgr.com/2016/09/19/ios-10-update-save-image-missing/

• Hi Peter,

Both Chrome and Safari on the iPad.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • Hi Martin,

I have made a minor change to see if it makes a difference (although I am pessimistic).

I looked into a completely different option, opening a new tab instead of downloading, but it triggered all sorts of popup blocker problems. Perhaps, once we know exactly what browsers/OSs are affected, we can make it use different methods on each.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

• Hi Peter,

That's a lot better.

The extension basically works. Autosave waterfall opens a full screen image of the waterfall in a new tab every time an image is grabbed. This results in quite a lot of tabbed pages if you leave it running, but at least it works.

Autosave IBP works but there is something not quite correct with the thumbnail window scaling, as it doesn't appear to be central with respect to the waterfall. This results in 4U1UN and everything else to the left disappearing off the left hand side of the screen. 

The grey extension control panel on the left hand side of the waterfall is in the correct position and all controls are visible.

This is the same in both Chrome and Safari. 

Sorry but it's not easy to get a frame grab of the iPad screen.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

• Thanks Martin,

I will add that change to the pull request and hope it doesn't stop other browsers from downloading automatically. We will see.... Chrome on W10 still works.

If I understand the Autosave IBP comment, it sounds like the saved image is wider than the display screen. Can you pinch it? Can you save that page to a file?

Does this affect Mac users as well? Anyone know?

- Peter