Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

New Owner Questions [S-meter OV, audio underruns, tags, GPS sensitivity]

edited November 2017 in KiwiSDR Discussion

HI All,

I am a new owner of the KiwiSDR, and after having it running for just over a week now, I am very pleased with it's performance. Thanks to John, he guided me to get it working and now on SDR.hu. 

I am however having a few small problems that I would like to know a bit more about.

1. On the S-Meter, even with a low signal report, I get the "OV" light up, is this normal, and should I worry about it?

2. Occasionally the web page (with my SDR) stops with "audio underrun", I have to refresh the page, and it's back to normal. Is this happening because I am using something else on my PC? (running through Chrome). Checking the log, does show this error message.

3. I notice the tags at the top of the frequency, is it possible to easily to add my own tags, or are they imported from a source file?

4. I need to put the GPS antenna outside, as it does not show any acquired signals.

I intend to open this full time, currently on my main HF antenna, will build something to free it up, and add a rf protector box to save the front end. I see DX Engineering has a suitable unit, just need to order and ship it down.

Please check it out, and tell me how it goes, or what I can do better.

And thanks for your time, Regards Kevin, ZL1KFM.

Comments

• Hi Kevin,

1. On the S-Meter, even with a low signal report, I get the "OV" light up, is this normal, and should I worry about it?

It indicates ADC overload, if you look on the spectrum display you may find some broadcast signals are above the -30dB line. An attenuator, or better still notch filters will help with this.

2. Occasionally the web page (with my SDR) stops with "audio underrun", I have to refresh the page, and it's back to normal. Is this happening because I am using something else on my PC? (running through Chrome). Checking the log, does show this error message.

It happens occasionally some browsers are more prone to it than others. 

3. I notice the tags at the top of the frequency, is it possible to easily to add my own tags, or are they imported from a source file?

Shift left click on the banner above the waterfall.

4. I need to put the GPS antenna outside, as it does not show any acquired signals.

The supplied antenna is not the best. It does work, but it's much better if it is placed outside.

Most of this is covered in the on-line guide http://kiwisdr.com/quickstart/

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

ZL1KFMWA2ZKD