Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

Is there a howto for getting a kiwi on sdr.hu.

edited July 2017 in KiwiSDR Discussion
I've set up an account on no-ip. Obviously I have something set up incorrectly with my router, the no-ip, or the kiwi. When I check to see if I'm comnnecting, it is throwing an error message.

Thanks.

Comments

• What's the error message? Is it from the "sdr.hu registration status" field on the sdr.hu tab of the admin page? Or the "status" field of the DUC section on the network tab?

Since you're using DUC on no-ip.com, on the sdr.hu tab selection menu at bottom left, do you have "DUC Domain" selected? And does it show "the_host_name_you_setup.ddns.net"?

On the network tab what yes/no answers do you get when you push the "check port open" button?

wjniemi
  • edited July 2017
    The network connection test was giving a no-yes (I think) for a while then it was gibing a "network textphone error" message (or something to that effect. They're both yes now.

The DUC Domain switch solved that problem.

Now my server is listed but it won't open on my iPad, Safari is reporting a "server not found" when I click the link at SDR.hu

I can open the server on my iPad on the LAN so I know it's running.

Thanks for your quick response.
  • Yeah, this is a problem with how your network router works. Unless your router supports something called "hair pinning" (NAT loopback), and most of them don't, then you can't use the public URL on sdr.hu on your local network where the Kiwi resides. That URL when used internally will resolve to your router. And your router doesn't know what to do with a connection to port 8073 coming from the local network.

Instead you'd have to use "kiwisdr.local:8073" which may or may not work depending on the machine you're running the browser on. Alternatively you can access the Kiwi by it's local ip address e.g. 192.168.1.14:8073

BTW, I can access your Kiwi fine from sdr.hu since I'm obviously on the public Internet and not your local network.

• It's online! Awesome!

I had the Lennox vender here to install their VFD noise reduction kit. It did nothing. However, a ferrite bead on the blower motor leads worked like magic.

I still have a lot of noise between 2 and 5 MHz. I'm going to try moving it out of the house to a more electrically neutral out building.

Thank you again for your help. This is great support for a first class product that I would recommend to anyone.

Best,

Bill
  • jksjks
    edited July 2017
    I have gigantic VFD problems from the elevators/lifts in this apartment building, so your information about the bead is very valuable to me. I had assumed the EMI was radiated directly to my E-probe antenna. But perhaps it is really conducted on the mains. I have a bunch of large toroids and have been meaning to make up a custom mains cord to get some common mode filtering.

The 2 - 5 MHz stuff is typical switch-mode power supply EMI, probably on devices other than your Kiwi. Although your LF/VLF was fine which is the other band SMPSs tend to effect. Maybe try a toroid on the 5V and Ethernet cables to the Kiwi (see: http://kiwisdr.com/quickstart/index.html#id-noise). Common mode junk can conduct along those paths, then up the braid (if you're using coax) to your mini-whip.

Also an RF isolation transformer between the mini-whip bias tee and the Kiwi will probably help. That's what I do here. Because I'm too lazy to wind my own I used a Mini-Circuits T1-6 or T-622 for two receivers on one antenna. Despite the spec the T-622 works fine down to 10 kHz. I use the two output windings to run two Kiwis off one mini-whip.

• edited July 2017
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I have toroids on the Ethernet cable and the antenna cable and a bead on the power supply cable. It's a linear supply I bought for about $50 on either Amazon or eBay.

I'm thinking about putting the bias T board (which is in an aluminum project box) in a steel waterproof box outside the house. I would put a splitter in it and run about 35 feet of buried cable out to the workshop. That would put distance and aluminum siding between the Kiwi and the switchers that dominate my house. I have a recording studio here.

I'm running all 75 ohm cable with f type connectors. Can a passive 2 way splitter be used or do I need transformers, too?

Even if the Kiwi doesn't work better in the shop, I have a couple of other radios I like for nostalgia sake that I'd use out there.

I will check out the transformers.

Thanks!