Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

I keep getting a "connection refused" message in the browser [software install issue]

edited May 2017 in Problems Now Fixed
Hi,

I may have screwed up something but here's what I did last.

I disconnected the ethernet cable, put in the micro SD card, and booted the Kiwi.

The 4 blue lights were active for about a minute or so.

When they stopped, I took the card out, hooked up the ethernet card, and rebooted.

I have verified the local address with fing.

This computer has the firewall turned off.

Our router's firewall is configured to allow all traffic.

When I enter the ip:8073, I get a message saying that the connection is refused.

What's next?  Any help will definitely be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Comments

• jksjks
    edited May 2017
    Give me some context here please. Was this a unit that had been previously working or a new one out-of-the-box?

If previously working: Did it all of a sudden start giving you "connection refused" messages? Are you trying to re-flash it by using the sd card? Do you get the "back-and-forth" pattern for about 4 minutes while it runs when you power on with the card in? Do you wait until all the LEDs go out before removing the card?

If new unit: Is this the kit version that came with a Beagle? Did you insert the card right away or try running it first? (the software is pre-installed on the Beagle so you don't want to put the card in). Or is it the board-only version and you are supplying your own Beagle and are using the card to flash your Beagle? If so, same questions as above: did you wait for the flash to complete and all the LEDs go out?

Thanks.

• New out of the box.

I did try to power it up with the flash card in and the internet connected.

With the internet disconnected, I did the same thing, and the back and forth pattern (blue lights) went for about 4 minutes.

I actually powered down before removing the card, then rebooted.

It's a new unit with the BB and Kiwi, and I did initially power up with the card in place.

I think that's most of it.

THX again!
  • So I'm new to this forum.  I hope "accepted answer" doesn't mean "problem fixed".  It's not.

However, the answer is definitely appreciated.  Maybe that could be an option.  :-)
  • Okay, well, it isn't necessary to install the sd card on first boot of the kit version. The software is already installed on the Beagle and it should just work. The Beagle isn't like a raspberry-pi which requires an sd card to work.

So what you've done is to do a re-flash of the software. There's nothing wrong with that. But the fact that you get a "connection refused" afterwards means there is no Kiwi software listening to port 8073. And that probably means the software re-flash didn't fully work.

So please try it again. Disconnect the Ethernet. Install the card. Power up. Observe back-and-forth pattern. At the end all 4 LEDs will go on for a while. Then all LEDs will go dark, including the power LED on the other side of the Ethernet connector (the Beagle has essentially powered off). Remove card. Connect Ethernet. Power up. Try connecting.

• Thank you, jks, I will give it a go right now and let you know what happens.

• OK, I 

1) unplugged everything from the BB
    2) re-installed the flash card
    3) powered up via the DC port
    4) the 4 blue LEDs did a nice show, including back and forth for a while, then all 4 on at the same time
    5) the 4 blue LEDs shut off, and so did the power LED
    6) I removed the power cord, and then pulled the micro SD chip
    7) I connected the ethernet cable and powered up.
    8) there seemed to be a lot of ethernet activity (green LED) AND the two outside blue LEDs continue to flash randomly
    9) tried to go online through this browser and got the same error message.

OK, I must be temporarily brain dead.

I went to the ipad and checked FING again... it has assigned a new IP.

I can NOW CONNECT through the correct IP.

Sheesh.  

Thank you so much for helping me through this.  I am going to love it with my PA0RDT mini-whip, I can tell already!

Best,
    bill
  • I can't believe how well this system works.  It's really awesome!  

I am astounded!  You can't believe what I'm getting here during daylight hours.  Amazing.
  • Sorry for the problems with this. We tried to make installation as problem-free as possible by pre-loading the kit Beagle with the Kiwi software. Including the sd card with the Kiwi has saved some people some real grief. When they absolutely had to re-flash it saved them the hassle of downloading the Kiwi image from the net and figuring out how to burn it on an sd card of their own. But the downside is that some incorrectly assume the card must be installed for the Kiwi to work. The printed instructions in each box are careful to mention this issue. But as always TL;DR is in effect (like with my long posts!, lol).

Yes, DHCP sometimes has a mind of its own about when to reassign a different ip address. The Beagle should be sending a DHCP request with the same Ethernet MAC, so you would expect DHCP to reuse the last ip assigned. But maybe there is something about re-installing the software. Who knows..

Please let us know how it goes. If you're able we could always use another public Kiwi on sdr.hu so please consider that option.

Best regards,
    John, ZL/KF6VO
    KiwiSDR

• Glad you're getting some good reception. So much depends on the local noise environment. Even more than the antenna specifics.

• I have a couple of noise issues that I need to work out, then I'll put it online, at least a couple of connections.  

We have a Lennox HVAC system here and the VS drives for the inductor, the blower, and the heat exchanger cause a lot of problems (at least they did with my Airspy on a Linux PC). I have been in discussions with the contractor and with Lennox engineering and they are supposed to be supplying an engineered filtering system for the RFI.  I expect to hear from them this week.

I also ordered a linear power supply for the BB although the cheapo switcher I bought to get started doesn't seem to be troublesome.

I have a mini whip antenna about 35 feet above ground level.  I'm about 75 feet from some 440 V power lines but they don't seem to be a problem.  This antenna really works well if you can get it away from RFI, buildings, etc.  
  • put ferrite at the base of the whip
  • HI All.
    About the reflashing procedure: I have learned\red of the LAN cable disconnection here for the first time.
    Is it mandatory ?
    Just as a reminder for the worst_NOGO_case..... we say here "touch_the_steel"&pray

;)
    Phil

• Phil, disconnecting the LAN cable during a re-flash is not a requirement. But it takes one more unnecessary variable out of what is a critical process.

Bill, all my Kiwis here have the absolute worst problem with VFD noise of any on sdr.hu  KiwiSDR world headquarters is (currently) a small room on top of an apartment building adjacent to the elevator/lift equipment room. I don't know if the noise is mains conducted or radiated. I use an E-field probe located not much further away. I have all the parts for a mains filter, just not the time yet to try a fix. Some discussion about noise mitigation here: http://kiwisdr.com/quickstart/index.html#id-noise

• Hi, John,

I would like to list 2 slots on my KIWI on sdr.hu.  I think I have put it all the pertinent info but I am a bit confused about the domain name/ip address setting.

It seems that the ip of my modem should work.  Is that correct?  If so, am I taking any security risks with my LAN?  

I have the key from sdr.hu so I think this is the last thing to sort out.  

Thanks,

bill

• Hi Bill,

If your public ip is static (unchanging) then yes, you can use that in the domain name/ip address field on the sdr.hu tab of the admin page. If your ISP provides you a dynamic public ip then you have to use a DDNS service as we describe here: http://kiwisdr.com/quickstart/index.html#id-net-duc Some people who own their own domain use that domain name, or a sub-domain, in place of a hardcoded ip address.

There should be no risk to your LAN (I know, famous last words etc.) When you modify the NAT settings on your router to re-direct port 8073 packets from your public ip address to the local ip address of the Kiwi that should be all that is allowed. There should be no other inbound connections possible, like to other computers and/or ports. On the Kiwi, accesses to port 8073 only transfer files associated with the Kiwi user interface and setup communication with the Kiwi server (i.e. audio and waterfall). There is nothing else that should be a risk. The Kiwi server might have its own security problems (it has in the past) where an attacker could crash it or change the configuration. But this should be confined to the Kiwi software alone and not a threat to your LAN.

wjniemi