The KiwiSDR 2 online store is open for orders! Please visit kiwisdr.nz

DHCP not working after fixed IP

edited May 2017 in KiwiSDR Discussion
Hi,

My kiwiSDR was at home 192.168.1.13, fixed on my network, for its configuration process.

Before moving to its definitive location, I have set it to DHCP, saved, unplugged the animal.

BUT it has taken 1 hour to find on the new receiving site that despite the DHCP well set on the kiwi, if was still stuck to 192.168.1.13, never asking for a new IP.

J-Luc F1JEK

Comments

• Why don't you try Static IP on Kiwi and to setup the exclusion for the 8073 port on router for given internal IP?

Attachments:
    https://forum.kiwisdr.com/uploads/Uploader/01/5bc3e0e536eca3073695a6e8edd29a.jpg
  • edited May 2017
    Hi,

It's what I have finally done. But it's not a solution... I had to reconfigure the router to include a "fixed addresses" range and it's not my router.

For me there is clearly a bug in the kiwi on this topic.

J-Luc
  • [I moved this discussion from the "troubleshooting"category, which is really meant for the Logi products, to the "KiwiSDR" category]

At the new location what was the range of DHCP addresses being assigned? Did it include the 192.168.1.13 address your Kiwi had previously been assigned on your home network? I'm not understanding what the problem is.

• >Did it include the 192.168.1.13 address your Kiwi had previously been assigned on your home network?
    No,

When moved from my network (192.168.1.*) with a fixed address to another one (192.168.0.*) in DHCP, the kiwi does not claim a new address despite a good configuration in the admin page.
  • Ah, okay I understand now. We've had some issues with this before. It has to do with the confirmation button you need to push in the UI when switching between static/DHCP mode. I added a confirmation button so that casual toggling of the static/DHCP button didn't leave your Kiwi in an unintended state.

To see what's really happened you should look at the underlying Linux file that the admin interface changes. Login to the Beagle and look at the /etc/network/interfaces file. The entry for "eth0" will say if the Ethernet is configured with a static address or will use DHCP, e.g.

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet dhcp

We will test this again. But if this file was changed properly (e.g. from static to DHCP) there is essentially no way Linux would continue to use the previous static address after a reboot.