The KiwiSDR 2 online store is open for orders! Please visit kiwisdr.nz

What went wrong with my KiwiSDR ? [corrupt kiwi.json file]

edited December 2022 in Problems Now Fixed

Hi all,

After v1.570 automatically updated, I encountered a problem as follow,

I can see this KiwiSDR and IP address in my router connected clients ...

But I cannot connect it with that local IP/port with Firefox

and I cannot connect it with my.kiwisdr.com for a local device surveying either,

I have no idea what happened to it ...

Should I recover Kiwi with SD card ? or try other method ...

Thank for your suggestion in advance.

Comments

• Try clearing your browser cache or try another browser.

It may just take a while to update fully, so I would leave it for a while before considering a recovery.

Can you ping it or SSH into it ?

Regards,

Martin

• Hi Martin,

Glad to see you again ~ this is the status :

Try clearing your browser cache or try another browser. => Done, both Chrome/Opera (brand-new installed at PC) failed the connection too.

Before issue happened, the firmware has been updated to 1.570 and worked fine one or two days.

Ping it. => Got responses as can be seen below.

SSH into it. => Serial-port connection to BBG ? I'm noob with EVB/Linux and never dd things like that before. . well i have to learn this a while and prepare for the worst.

thanks a lot, anyway.

• Hi Jimmy,

That's odd.

What happens if you ask for it's status using the webrowser as normal with /status after the port number, assuming you are using 8073

192.168.1.151:8073/status

Unfortunately that's about my limit with Linux too, but it looks like either the webserver part has stopped or the port number has changed.

Have you tried a power cycle ?

Otherwise it's over to more qualified folks to comment.

Regards,

Martin

• Isn't there an ssh available from the command line in Windows? Failing that, try the PuTTY application. So first try ssh root@192.168.1.151 and use the Kiwi serial number as the password (written on the top of the Kiwi circuit board in the white box).

Once connected try these commands:

cdp

ps ax | gr kiwid

msl

Email the resulting messages to support@kiwisdr.com

• Hi, jks

Putty access for log was done.

Mail sent and thank for your help in advance.

B/R,

Jimmy

• Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for your complete and detailed email. It really helps me when people send me the info I ask for. You were correct. There was indeed an error parsing the configuration file kiwi.json We've seen this happen a few times in the past. It is not clear why this happens. Possibly a power failure at a bad time (when the file was being written).

You should be able to get the Kiwi going again by using these commands after an ssh connection:

cdp

cp unix_env/kiwi.config/dist.kiwi.json ../kiwi.config/kiwi.json

Note the ".." (two dots) above. When the Kiwi server next restarts (in a minute or so) it should begin running normally. Your customizations will be lost, but it is much better than having to start over re-flashing using the sd card.

If you happen to have a backup made using the admin page, backup tab function, then a more recent kiwi.json file with some of your customizations can be recovered. Let me know we need to do this.

• Hi jks,

These command lines are really powerful and work well ! Thanks a lot.

As a record shown below is the ssh msg I see in this issue, and hope it can help someone too in the future.

Enjoy KiwiSDR !

regards,

Jimmy

• Eventually my kiwi revives with full hp tonight.

Thank for jks & G8JNJ gurus' help.

continue my noise reduction engineering ...