Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

Setting SSB filter BW with / shifts high pass below carrier - why?

Usually I change RX filter bw like this: Press "g" to jump to the frequency field, then type in "/4k" to listen to some wider SSB stations.

This seems to be relative to the center frequency of the filter, not to the tuned frequency. So the result is a filter that has the highpass at -650Hz and the lowpass at 3350. What I expected at first was a filter that starts at 0Hz and ends at 4k.

I know if someone tries to narrow in on a CW signal, things would be different.

So my question is: Can I change this behavior somehow? At least there is no good reason to let the filter flip over to the other sideband when increasing bandwidth.

I thing this might be on purpose but I just don't get the reason :-)

73s,

Andy, DG7LAN

Comments

• Hi,

It seems to be relative to the centre of the passband, as you have found.

Try /-4000,0 for LSB or /0,4000 for USB etc. for asymmetrical filters, that works for me.

A single numerical value may only work for double sideband signals such as AM, NBFM, DRM, I/Q etc.

A better option for SSB may be to use shift and +/- magnifying glass zoom buttons, this also shifts the passband about the centre, but in a slightly different way.

Regards,

Martin

• Starting a sideband filter at 0 Hz makes no sense at all. There is no reason any of the passband setting options should do that.

Like Martin says, if you want a specific sideband filter then just specify it with the "slash comma" notation:

/300,3k /100,4k /200,4.5k

From our documentation, the full passband specification options are:

/width (relative to pbc)

/pb_lo, pb_hi (absolute lo and hi freqs)

:pbc (use current pbw)

:pbc, pbw

Where pbc = passband center, pbw = passband width

• Thank you both for the quick response!

Yes, true, 0Hz doesn't make sense. Thanks for clearing things up! Next time I will look at the specific section in the manual more carefully.

I really love how thinks can be handled from the keyboard in KiwiSDR

73 and best regards,

Andy / DG7LAN