Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

Wide AM Mode (AMW)

I remember this was suggested some time back on here, but I found a situation where it would be really useful. On the mobile version, the keypad that comes up doesn't include the forward slash or letters so the BW of the passband can be entered into frequency box (such as /19.2k for a ±9.6 kHz BW). While I do have DX labels set to adjust the bandwidths on local stations, there are times that I'd like open it up a bit on frequencies I don't have set (currently there are some tricks I use, but it's multiple steps). Perhaps in addition to AMN mode, an AMW mode could be implemented that could be set in the admin panel to whatever the user wants "wide" to be, up to the maximum of ±10.125 kHz. I could imagine the mode defaulting to a maximum of ±6 kHz on Kiwis configured for 4/8 channels.

If there were an AMW mode, I'd probably have it set to 18.5 kHz on mine. Enough to keep the 10 kHz whistle out and splatter from weak adjacents low for many cases. A preset default of 16 kHz would probably be a good start point considering many Kiwis are used where 9 kHz channel spacing is used.

Comments

• jksjks
    edited July 2022

Let me address just the iPhone "decimal keypad" issue. I actually have some code to support the other ("tel") keypad which includes the special characters * + # , ; But the problem with that keypad is it has no decimal point which makes it worse than useless. iPhone has no keypad it seems with both . and special characters like android does.

So last night I added a hack for the decimal keypad. You can append a passband by entering another . in place of the / and , used with desktop and android. Some examples assuming USB mode:

desktop       iPhone
    7200.5/2800   7200.5.2800  (freq / passband width)
    7200/2800     7200..2800
    /2800         ..2800
    /300,3100     ..300.3100   (passband lo, hi)
    /             ..           (reset passband)

So two .. are equivalent to a / unless the frequency is fractional in which case only a second . is required.

• That sounds good. I'll give it a try after the Kiwi auto-updates tonight.

I figured there would be variation between the Andriod and iPhone. I'm still using an old iPhone 7 (which I'm planing to replace within the year), so I stayed just shy of asking for a keypad solution.

Before, when using the phone, I would type the forward slash in the address bar and copy and paste it into the frequency box to adjust the BW. I mostly use my Kiwi on my laptop, but I do use it on my phone from time to time. I know some of the local folks who use my Kiwi often use it on their phone.

Thanks for the fix.

• It won't be available until the next release which is waiting for me to finish with the AI-64 changes.

• Okay, that's fine. I'll be watching for it.

• "[. . .] an AMW mode could be implemented that could be set in the admin panel to whatever the user wants "wide" to be, up to the maximum of ±10.125 kHz. [. . .]"

I'd like to be another voice expressing interest in AMW. Given the nature of many US AM BC stations transmitting +/- 10 kHz, the fidelity improvement is dramatic.

• Done. Will be in the next release. Let's see how many things it breaks, lol