Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

microkiwi_waterfall.py

I'm using the most recent kiwiclient repository and trying to get the snr for my kiwisdr. to quote the readme:

"launch this program with no filename and just the SNR will be computed, with a filename, the raw waterfall data is saved. Launch with --help to list all options"

with or without a server and port, I get the following. I'm obviously missing something....

ejj3@ejj3-Mingus:~/kiwiclient$ python3 ./microkiwi_waterfall.py -s 192.168.2.118 -p 8073 --help

File "./microkiwi_waterfall.py", line 45

print "KiwiSDR Server: %s:%d" % (host,port)

^

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

--------------

using a command like

python3 kiwirecorder.py -s 192.168.2.118 -p 8073 -f 15770 -m am --s-meter=0

works as expected.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited July 2022

Hi Eric,

Turns out that microkiwi_waterfall.py has been last updated 3 years ago and is still a Python2 script. If you can run it that way it will print the average snr for the zoom level you selected. You could make a time plot of that e.g. when experimenting with antennas.

bregards Ben

• jksjks
    edited July 2022

I got microkiwi_waterfall.py running again under Python 3. Update from my repo: https://github.com/jks-prv/kiwiclient

Also consider using the --wf option to kiwirecorder.py for something similar. See the example invocation in the Makefile (target wf:)

• edited July 2022

Thanks, Ben and JKS.

While I was about to try converting the print statements, I see that jks has done it. This is great, since I don't 'do' python. I gave that version a try, and it works, and will experiment with kiwirecorder.py. My goal is, indeed, to monitor signal to noise across time and frequencies to monitor some setup experiments.

Very much appreciated.

Eric

• Hi,

I wrote that script, but it's never been updated and I don't even remember what it did...

I'm just sure that it was written BADLY. Please avoid it, use it just for "inspiration" :-)

marco

• edited July 2022

Hi Marco,

Indeed your earlier work on showing these snr's on a map interface for 4 bands inspired me to create something similar plotting this information for 20 selected Kiwis in 4 longitude bands. Although I started out with using microkiwi waterfall I switched to just collecting the less intrusive self reported hourly snr's when these became available.

Example results : http://www.sparks.epizy.com/SNR/Latest_MultiSNR_WW2.html?i=2

On a shorter time frame, I still use a modified version of microkiwi_waterfall, but since the method uses a rather large chunk of the HF spectrum, it would be great to have a measure of SNR in the demodulated bandwidth. The forum discussion in March "SNR meter vs S-meter" refers to that.

73 Ben