Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

Conflict between editing labels and polling /users

This discussion was created from comments split from: Local Access Issue.

Comments

• Not sure if this is a related issue.

Today I tried to edit a DX tag on my remote KiWi and got a red splash screen message that I hadn't seen before, stating "Must close all admin connections before attempting this operation."

This turned out to be due to the site admin regularly connecting to my KiWi from a local IP in order to poll and gather /users information.

I'm perfectly happy with this, but it does stop me from being able to remotely edit or add any DX tags.

Is this a new feature or something else ?

Regards,

Martin

• Code was added to help prevent the label and configuration files being corrupted (or losing changes) due to the "multiple writer" problem. Changes from a user connection that require admin privileges (label edit, freq cal, freq offset, IQ cal) now require that there be no open admin connections that might cause conflicting writes.

/users access obviously never does any writes, and so I shouldn't be excluding that. Will fix..

• jksjks
    edited March 2022

Okay, I was a little confused by this until I did some testing. Polling /users (i.e. curl my_kiwi:8073/users), or /status for that matter, will not cause this problem. Only the presence of an open admin connection at the time editing labels from a user connection is attempted.

Do you really have a polling function that makes repeated /admin connections? If so, does it only look at the status tab?

• Hi John,

I didn't implement the /users polling, so I don't know how it is being used.

I'll try and find out from the site admin and report back.

Thanks for looking at this.

Regards,

Martin

• Was there ever any more info about the exact failure mode here?

• Hi John,

We didn't prove it 100%, but it is likely that an admin connection had been inadvertently left open by the site admin.

There are 8 Kiwi's on the same site, plus a lot of other remotely operated kit, so it's quite easy to become confused about what you were connected to and why.

Regards,

Martin

• edited March 2022

I have 4, sometimes 5 at my location running. I brought some order to things by assigning the LAN IP and port as such:

192.168.1.73:8073 ..... 192.168.1.75:8075 etc.

• Hi Jim,

I think that is how it is already organised, but it's not my site or network, and there is a LOT of radio kit and automation in operation.

I'm just a lucky tenant who gets to share the infrastructure :-)

Regards,

Martin