The KiwiSDR 2 online store is open for orders! Please visit kiwisdr.nz

A simple request regarding the configuration of your station

I have suggested this in the past, but TDoA makes it even more important. Simply, if your setup limits your KiwiSDR's usable frequency range, describe that in the admin/sdr.hu config page. There are 3 places you can do that.
  1. Coverage frequency low (kHz), I have mine set to 10
  2. Coverage frequency high (kHz), 30000 for example
  3. Name, I set mine to 10 KHz - 30 MHz SDR, WA2ZKD
This will assure users know right away that you station has some limit. It only practical to limit the top and bottom limits

Things that set this limit include:
  1. DC is impossible to receive and I'll venture that none of us can go below 10 KHz
  2. If you have a HPF to prevent AMBC overload
  3. LPF will effect the high end, not many will have that
  4. Your antenna's frequency range.
Keep in mind that if you can't receive anything in a range, no one else can. The changes I describe above will alert them before they try.

Comments

• this thought still applies...

• "DC is impossible to receive and I'll venture that none of us can go below 10 KHz"

Just for sh*ts and giggles I tuned one of my Kiwis to 0 kHz USB and plugged a dynamic microphone into the antenna socket.

I can confirm that the Kiwi is the worst value-for-money microphone preamp I've ever known. And its performance is lousy. But it does work!

• Who's going to be the first to add bat reception to their KiWi ?

Here's a description of the frequencies used by each species if you want to add suitable DX labels :-)

If you lived near the sea you could add a hydrophone for whales and dolphins too.

• edited November 2021

Joking aside, it's surprising what audio signals there are around us in the DC to 100KHz frequency range.

Whilst sitting in the garden, I've observed various bird calls and tried to characterise them using an audio spectrum analyser on my iPad, and I've been amazed at just how many other 'noises' can be observed surrounding us in a typical urban environment at the upper end of our hearing range, especially us 'oldies'

For example, I can see a band of noise centred around 8KHz which I think is emanating from a roof mounted chiller unit on a supermarket about 1.5Km way. Vehicle reversing 'beepers' and emergency vehicle sirens can also be seen well down into the noise, even when they can't be heard directly.

One of these cheap MEMS microphones would probably do the trick, of anyone really wants to try it.

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Knowles/SPU0410LR5H-QB?qs=ZBAH5PeHI6spSaDz04PSrQ%3D%3D