Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

sd card problem during backup

Comments

• Mine updated to v1.444 the other day and when I tried to make a backup on a BBB, it kept failing with Error 1 using 3 known good SD cards. I'm gonna see if I can load my 1.442 image back on it tomorrow after I back up my labels. Could this have anything to do with the recent updates? It worked fine last week with 1.442

Here is the log:

ADMIN: received microSD_write
    -----------------------------
    KiwiSDR: copy eMMC image to micro-SD card
    Version: [1.20151007: gpt partitions with raw boot...]
    include /root/Beagle_SDR_GPS/tools/kiwiSDR-SOC.sh
    '/root/Beagle_SDR_GPS/tools/kiwiSDR-init-eMMC-flasher-v3.sh' -> '/opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/init-eMMC-flasher-v3.sh'
    ext4_options: -c -O ^metadata_csum,^64bit
    Unmounting Partitions
    copying: [/dev/mmcblk0] -> [/dev/mmcblk1]
    lsblk:
    NAME         MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    mmcblk0boot0 179:8    0    2M  1 disk 
    mmcblk0boot1 179:16   0    2M  1 disk 
    mmcblk0      179:0    0  3.7G  0 disk 
    `-mmcblk0p1  179:1    0  3.7G  0 part /
    df -h | grep rootfs:
    Error: [/dev/mmcblk1] does not exist
    writing to [/dev/mmcblk1] failed...
    write failure
    error code 1
    ADMIN: system returned 1

• jksjks
    edited March 2021

If the Linux "lsblk" command doesn't see the mmcblk1 device (note "1", not "0" which is the on-board filesystem) then as far as Linux is concerned the sd card isn't plugged in (or recognized). The Kiwi software has nothing to do with it at that point. That's why the lsblk command is run in the script -- to show that state of the sd card before doing anything.

So while everything is still running try pushing on the sd card to eject (unlatch) it, then re-seat it and try the backup again. I sometimes find I have to do this a couple of times. I don't know why.

KU4BY
  • In my case, out of 3 KiwiSDRs I purchased, two of them had a problem with the original card. An oxidized layer of white coating has formed on the contacts, which must be removed mechanically using, for example, a 0.5mm precision screwdriver. A few scrapes on each pin is enough and after this operation there is no problem with the recording.

greetings

PowernumptyKU4BY
  • edited March 2021

Like I know, - Git have build-in feature for switch between version without any copy to card.

For example on the cdp you can use git log for find commit hash with interesting changes and then switch to it git checkout {hash} and now you can build it with make clean && make && make install

After playing don't forget switch to master git switch master

Of course it's will be possible only with compatible settings for both versions.

I'm not git expert or programmer but maybe @jks can add small Git tutorial to KiwiSDR quickstart.

• jksjks
    edited March 2021

I tried an sd card backup from the admin page and it worked for me with v1.445. So I don't think the code/script itself is broken.

• I've tried 3 different SD cards that have been validated on a pc and none of them are seen by the BBB. Last week everything was working fine so I burned that image (v 1.442) to an SD card and rebooted the BBB but it just booted up normally because it can't see the card. I took the same SD cards and put them in a USB SD adapter and could read and write to it from within the BBB so I'm calling the BBB SD slot itself bad. I also tried once again after upgrading to 1.445 with the same results. It was just a coincidence that whatever happened began right after I updated to 1.444.

I emailed Seeed Studio to see if it could be replaced under warranty since it came as part of the kit and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

• I assume you have tried holding down the boot button on the black while first powering?

• Actually I haven't because that's not something I've ever had to do before. I can give it a try but at this point I'm certain that it's something with the jack itself. It could just be a bent pin but I'm not going to mess with it until I hear back about the warranty status. Everything else is working fine.