Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

v1.403: colormap improvements, multiple DRM schedule databases

jksjks
edited September 2020 in KiwiSDR Discussion
The new DRM schedule database from drmrx.org is preliminary. Chris and I working on reorganizing the entries.
DRM tip: while listening to R. Kuwait 15110 I got left-ear-only audio (while using headphones). You can duplicate the left channel audio on the right via the pan control on the audio tab (e.g. set it to "50 R").

The new "SdrDx" colormap from the project by the same name is worth trying.

The new aperture auto mode is now the default and will hopefully lead to better looking waterfalls in people's Twitter posts and YouTube videos.

The "colormap designer" is more of a toy for now. It needs more features to be really useful. Screenshot at the end of this post.

From the CHANGE_LOG file:
v1.403  September 17, 2020
    DRM extension:
        Added schedule database selection menu. Includes database from drmrx.org

Waterfall/spectrum/colormap improvements:
        New terminology, colormap "aperture" (what the WF max/min controls really define).
            A colormap spectrum bar now appears above the WF sliders.
            It is similar to the bar that appear on the right of the spectrum display.
            It changes as you adjust WF max/min in manual aperture mode or automatically
            in auto aperture mode (see next). Markers appear at the WF max/min points
            whereas the bar itself covers a fixed -140 to -25 dBm.

Added aperture auto mode to existing manual and one-shot (auto-scale button) modes.
            On the main control panel WF tab there is a new menu "aperture".
            *** Auto mode is the new default, but the choice is saved across page reloads.
                This is designed to help always keep the waterfall dynamic range optimal
                for folks who never get around to learning how to use the WF max/min
                sliders or even the "auto-scale" button.

In auto mode the WF max/min sliders become WF ceil(ceiling)/floor.
                This is the amount of "headroom" to create above and below the
                automatically calculated WF max/min values.

Added colormap control extension consisting of two parts:
            1) Aperture auto mode controls.
                The averaging algorithm/parameter choices are the same as for the
                waterfall and spectrum averaging (on the WF tab of main control panel).
                When in auto mode the calculated max/min values are shown, those that are
                computed plus the selected floor/ceiling headroom.
                In auto mode the "auto scale" button on the main control panel lights up
                to remind you that auto mode is in effect.
                When auto mode averaging is turned off the max/min values are only
                recalculated when the waterfall zoom, pan or center frequency changes.

2) A "colormap designer" for creating custom colormaps.
                A work-in-progress. The details of this will probably change.

Added new colormap from the SdrDx project.

Admin interface:
        Disallow public listing unless at least one password-less channel is available.
        Warn about creating URL redirect cycles.
        Display UTC/local time on admin status page.

Use string hashing for faster API command decoding.
    Many other bug fixes. As usual see the Github commit log.

Attachments:
https://forum.kiwisdr.com/uploads/Uploader/0b/946e262661fd55d95ff27a16b7f975.png
https://forum.kiwisdr.com/uploads/Uploader/aa/964687c01992d9f7fc8c2203e9b1c1.png
PowernumptyChristophrz3dvpcathalferrisbenson

Comments

• Thanks John. I like the aperture mode selection and the ability to better use the spectrum to convey larger dynamic range. I think it can do everything I want. Colormap Designer, on the other hand, does more than I'm capable of easily handling! It reminds me of the (inverted) saying, " I know art but I don't know what I like". :)
    I think it promises to answer the question of "what does one do with hours of extra time during covid?". There's no doubt a solution it can provide that will require me to spend a lot of time figuring out what I really want to see. Maybe an artist will emerge from this group that can come up with just the right solution and save me from all that right-brain activity ( I know, it's just a theory...).

Glenn n6gn
  • I think I need to dig out a graphics tablet and pen for the designer, was getting there with the mouse but kept going just off what I was trying for.
    As you say Glenn a new hobby has been invented.

"I shall be in my room composing waterfalls"

Stu
  • Very nice, thank you John for this.
  • jksjks
    edited September 2020
    About the colormap designer:
    • Freehand ("points") mode is tedious, but if you make a mistake or want to refine you can go over just a portion of the x-axis without disturbing the rest. Don't forget about the gain control. Redrawing is best done with gain returned to 1.0 before proceeding.
    • Try "lines" mode for better control. Multiple segments will be chained together as you draw. Terminate line drawing by pressing the escape key once. If you press escape again its usual function will apply and the extension will be closed! You can mix and match points and line mode, use a line segment(s) on only part of the x-axis etc.
    • Enter a zero/max value by mousing into, and perhaps across, the light-gray bezel surrounding the drawing area. Similarly by mousing into the left and right bezel areas. E.g. to zero red completely draw a line (or points mode) across the entire top bezel.
    • The four colormap are saved across page loads but are unfortunately tied to each Kiwi visited (each unique URL). This will change when user parameters are finally available (how many times have I said this).
    • The tool is inspired by the old BaudLine application which has mathematical functions, color space manipulation and much more compared to the simple drawing here. I also like the simpler colormap definition tool used by SdrDx. It allows a simple file to be uploaded that essentially defines the line mode segments. Interesting colormaps could be shared this way.
    About aperture automode: There are all kinds of glitches when you switch back-and-forth between manual and auto modes, and under other circumstances. I know all about them so no need to complain. I thought it was better to get something out there sooner rather than later.
  • It took me a few moments to work out the values of the axis but once I got that it's an interesting challenge to try and think colour balance, over brightness range.
    I've wanted to to get a theme that works under F-Lux for a while as I darken the screen toward sunset and as result the waterfall gets less distinct, I'm getting there.
    I've also gone inverted waterfall with some success but it almost calls out for a single line option, chose Colour1:Colour2 and then just define the gradient.
  • edited September 2020
    Hello to the system operators. For 2 days I can do the manual color setting with WF8 max. and min. no longer save. In the past, the manual color settings were retained after logging in again. Now they keep changing to a steadfast value. This is very annoying because it used to work. it is a pity. :-( Can you tell me how I can save my settings? Or can you please build it up again so that it works? Many thanks.
  • @WaveHunter: On the main control panel, "WF" tab, along the bottom of the panel, change the new "aperture" menu (second from left) from "auto" to "man". Now the two sliders will go back to saying "WF max" and "WF min" and retain their values across a page reload.

The aperture menu setting will be retained across page reloads.
  • Thanks for the answer .

I have already done this very often at various KIWIs. The color (max+min) is not retained and always changes to completely different values. There must be a problem somewhere ... It doesn't work.
  • Okay, I found this bug and it will be fixed in today's release.

However aperture = "auto" will still be the new default. Once you set it back to "man" (manual) that change will stick. But with the bug fixed your old WF max/min settings used in manual mode will not be incorrectly changed by auto mode.
  • Thank you for remove the bug. I think it's really good when the user can make their individual settings and these are retained. I can give you a short message if everything works again. Have a nice Weekend!
  • Thanks for the colormap enhancements, John, greatly appreciated!

Speaking of user settings, is there a way to save the bandwidth settings for the various modes (AM, etc)? For example, I prefer to keep the AM bandwidth down around +/- 2.8 kHz or so vs the 5 kHz default, as I spend most of my time outside of the SWBC bands. I'll set it, but then when I come back to my Kiwi, it's at +/-5 kHz again.
  • Nice job on the new colormaps John! Looks good and I'm experimenting with what works best for me.

Many thanks
    John B
  • Is it possible to set whether auto or manual mode is enabled as a default for visitors to the KiwiSDR? Auto mode (at least on my KiwiSDR) seems to produce a too difficult to interpret waterfall, at least with the default gain settings.
  • Alright, something has come up and I'm not going to have time to work on the problems with aperture auto mode for a while. So in today's update I've added an "initial aperture" setting to the admin page config tab:
    v1.409  October 3, 2020
        Added "Initial aperture" setting to admin page config tab. This setting determines
        which waterfall colormap aperture mode, manual or auto, is used as the default for
        "first time" visitors to your Kiwi. More precisely, for any connection to your Kiwi
        where the "last aperture set" cookie has not been previously set ("first time"
        visitors are a subset of that definition).    

ChrisSmolinskirz3dvp
  • Perfect, thank you!
    WA2ZKD
  • After using the new colourmap enhancements, it is really really helping to get consistent nice waterfalls when changing frequency location.

Seriously, many thanks indeed for that, I hadn't realised how much easier it made things for me when using the Kiwis!