My Kiwisdr does not start properly after installing the aluminum enclosure

1.Turn off after 1 second
2.Can start, but can't connect to the network, the D2 light keeps flashing

Comments

• Much more information is needed.

Was this Kiwi fully working before you installed it in the aluminum enclosure? Is this a new Kiwi or has it been running for some time before you moved it to the aluminum enclosure? Do you know if the Kiwi had upgraded over the network to the latest software version?

You say it turns off after one second, but also that it starts. Does it do both things at different times? There might be a power supply problem because of the extra current drawn by the fan in the enclosure. Try disconnecting the fan and see if it powers up reliably.

The D2 LED double-flashing is normal when Linux is running. But when the most recent Kiwi software runs a different pattern is displayed. So if the different pattern does not appear within one minute of power-on the Kiwi software is not running properly. Are you getting D2 double-flashing when you cannot connect to the Kiwi with a browser? Does the Ethernet connector have green and yellow LEDs lit? The green LED should blink with network traffic.

Even if you cannot connect to the Kiwi interface from a browser can you ping the ip address of the Kiwi?
  • It worked fine before installing the Kiwi to the aluminum enclosure and updated to the latest v1.261 version.

After I disconnected the fan, Kiwi started. But I think my power supply is no problem, my power supply is 5.2V3.5A

But now Kiwi can't connect to the network, the D2 LED is always flashing, and the green light of the Ethernet interface is always flashing also.

The result of the ping is that the target host cannot be accessed.
  • Now the LED light seems to be normal, but still can't connect to the network, the Ethernet interface green light keeps flashing.
  • I assume you are running DHCP for the address? can you look at the DHCP server or router to see what addresses have been given out recently?
    Does windows/linux command "arp -a" have a mac address with the IP address you are expecting?
    Obvious other "start at the bottom" question - is the network cable you are using the same as before and have you tried another switch/router port? reseating the connectors or substituting another cable?

Stu
  • Thanks for the additional detail -- it helps a lot.

Does the green Ethernet LED flash in a perfectly rhythmic pattern rather than in a broken pattern that looks like it's in response to network traffic? Also, is the yellow LED on? (indicating a 100 Mbps connection). What is the serial number of this Kiwi? (written in the white silkscreen box on the top of the Kiwi board) and where and when did you purchase it?

I ask these questions because Seeed had a batch of BeagleBone Greens some time ago with bad Ethernet PHY chips. There were many failure symptoms, but one of them was a constantly flashing green Ethernet LED even though there was clearly no network traffic. Sometimes this occurred with the yellow LED being off when it should have been on. These are both symptoms of an Ethernet PHY failure.

This is a little involved, but the other thing to try is disconnecting the Kiwi board from the BBG and run it by itself. You have to power it by a connection to its micro-USB connector as the Kiwi board is no longer there to supply power to the BBG. Then see if the network symptoms are any different. Also, now you can place a finger on the PHY chip itself to measure its temperature. It's the tiny little chip directly behind the Ethernet RJ45 connector. The PHY runs warm normally but if it's too hot to keep your finger in place then the PHY has failed.
  • Green Ethernet LED flashes in perfect rhythm mode,Yellow LED is lit.
    The serial number of this Kiwisdr is 3764.
    Purchased on seeedstudio.taobao.com on January 7, 2017
  • When I disconnected the Kiwi board, the Ethernet green light still blinks
  • Okay. Do both the green and yellow Ethernet LEDs go out when you disconnect the Ethernet cable? How about the Ethernet PHY chip -- is it hot to the touch? This is sounding more like a BBG failure and you should probably contact Seeed support and ask for a replacement.
  • Both Green and yellow Ethernet LEDs are off when the Ethernet cable is disconnected.
  • I'd try a crossover cable to a PC running wireshark, boot the Beaglebone see what traffic comes from it (assuming the small network chip is not roasting as jks indicates to check first).
    That chip is shown on the Hardware Overview as "Ethernet PHY" http://wiki.seeedstudio.com/BeagleBone_Green/

• Correct it.
    Purchased on seeedstudio.taobao.com on January 7, 2019
  • PHY touch is just warm
  • It might still be OK just on a different IP address.
    There is a discovery tool but if you have Java installed I tend to use "angry ip scanner" (angryip.org) as it is quick and you can set it to probe port 8073 or others (tools-preferences-port).
    As I didn't get an answer to my previous posts I assume you don't go digging around in your router settings but you could do with finding out what is on your network, checking if the Kiwi is running just not where you are expecting it.
  • jksjks
    edited January 2019
    Sorry for all these questions. But we are trying to understand this problem in greater detail to help others.

On the top of the Ethernet RJ45 connector, is the manufacturer and part number listed as this?
    HanRun
    HY911105T

How long is the Ethernet cable between your Kiwi and router or other network device? Is is short, like under 1 meter, or a longer run like 10 meters?

Did you have any significant thunderstorms in your area around the time the problem started?

Was there a possibility of static discharge when you were assembling the Kiwi into the enclosure or when you were plugging in the Ethernet cable? This might happen if you live in an area with low humidity (dry air) or you have carpet in the room where you were assembling the Kiwi enclosure and you were wearing shoes so that a static charge might have built-up on your body.

Do you have a Paypal account? I can reimburse you the full cost if you purchase another BBG from Seeed/Taobao. But Paypal is really the only way for me to make an international payment.
  • Information on top of the Ethernet RJ45 connector:
    HanRun
    HY911105T
    18/14

The Ethernet cable between Kiwi and the router is 3 meters long.

At the beginning of the problem, there was no thunderstorm in my area.

There should be no possibility of electrostatic discharge. The humidity in my area is generally above 70%.
  • jksjks
    edited January 2019
    Thank you. This is what I was expecting. I am trying to evaluate if the BeagleBone Green (or the BeagleBone in general) suffers from Ethernet PHY failures via ESD strikes.

I think the right thing to do is to get a new BBG. I am happy to reimburse you the full costs of that if I can find a way to pay you. Or I can purchase one on the external Seeed site and have it shipped to you directly. But I don't think this can be used to ship internally to China (I'm not sure where you are).
  • I think I can buy a new BBG on Taobao.
  • not sure if this was mentioned but perhaps take the Kiwi out of the enclosure and then power it up to see if it then works normally before going through the whole procedure of replacing it.
  • He did that I believe. And also disconnected the Kiwi from the Beagle which drops the required current significantly (to reduce the problems from a marginal power supply and/or power cable).
  • I tried a 100 meter network cable and it didn't work. What is the largest possible network cable?
  • edited May 2020
    100Meters is the standard Ethernet limit anyway so you would need to have decent copper guage to use it at that distance.
    I'd get a couple of a Ethernet to Fibre adapters and do it that way 100m is a lot of copper to pick up noise.
    Obviously once you fibre "Distance" is " many km depending on optical units" (the real cheap stuff is normally good for 300m).

You could try a quality switch at the KiWi end just see if the cable is up to it then try the Kiwi via the switch, I doubt it is the BeagleBone at fault if the cable is good.
  • edited May 2020
    OK