Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

Comments

• edited April 2021

To try out SuperSDR, the installation instructions are at https://github.com/mcogoni/supersdr/

KA7Urz3dvplinkz
  • Nice job Marco ! 👍️

• Hey guys!

How are you doing? Thanks for your interest in my new little piece of software... and thanks John for putting a link to it on the official Kiwi webpage, for the useful comments and for solving my Python 3 compatibility issues.

Wanted to tell you that I released v2.0 of SuperSDR: it can do much more than the initial release, it has now a much improved interface, a spectrum scope on top of the waterfall, improved tuning commands for keyboard and mouse, DX-Cluster support (n the dev branch only ;) ), audio recording, and the possibility of changing kiwi server at runtime (still a bit buggy if the server behaves strangely...).

I'd be pleased to have some feedback, just, please, don't ask about support for exotic hardware ;) The only HW I plan to add is maybe the RTL-SDR to connect directly to the IF-OUT of the CAT radio.

One of the things I plan to do is multiple receivers, they could be useful to monitor up to 8 channels, depending on the kiwi.

I believe that the main advantages over John's web interface is the lower achievable latency, faster waterfall, easy to add new features since the code is much, much smaller and in Python, and of course the tight integration with a real radio that offers a much better tuning experience. And not having to start a browser is a plus in my opinion :-)

Have fun!

marco/IS0KYB

• Just got it going... cool... I note it does not work with a 20 KHz (3 ch) kiwi

• edited May 2021

Hi,

I just configured mine for 3 channels 20khz and it works perfectly, could you please report what kind of error showed up? What version are you using? and which OS?

Thanks!

• edited May 2021

OS=Mint/Ubuntu, Kiwi =1.452, SuperSDR= git from yesterday

But let me try again....

listening to MWBC AM with USB, audio is off pitch

• edited May 2021

So it works?

Please send me the kiwi ip:port and frequency, if the kiwi is on GPS exact freq, it shouldn't be off freq...

Please note that I didn't implement the MW 9kHz step, so you should tune by using the left/right arrows. If you need more accuracy zoom more and the freq will change by 100Hz.

• The current dev branch on github is much improved, but I'm still testing it before merging it into the main branch.

Comments are welcome!

https://github.com/mcogoni/supersdr/tree/dev

• edited May 2021

jimlill.com port 8073

1180 KHz

• jim@DT:~/Apps/supersdr$ ./supersdr.py --kiwiserver 192.168.1.73 --kiwiport 8073 -z 9 -f 1180 

pygame 2.0.1 (SDL 2.0.14, Python 3.8.5)

Hello from the pygame community. https://www.pygame.org/contribute.html

192.168.1.73 8073 9 1180

KiwiSDR Server: 192.168.1.73:8073

Zoom factor: 9

Actual frequency: 1150.7034301757812 kHz

Trying to contact 192.168.1.73...

Socket open...

Waterfall data stream active...

Starting to retrieve waterfall data...

1180 USB 30 3000 

Trying to contact server...

Audio data stream active...

Filling audio buffer...

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1089:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

ALSA lib pcm.c:2642:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear

ALSA lib pcm.c:2642:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe

ALSA lib pcm.c:2642:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side

ALSA lib pcm_route.c:869:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map

ALSA lib pcm_oss.c:377:(_snd_pcm_oss_open) Unknown field port

ALSA lib pcm_oss.c:377:(_snd_pcm_oss_open) Unknown field port

ALSA lib pcm_usb_stream.c:486:(_snd_pcm_usb_stream_open) Invalid type for card

ALSA lib pcm_usb_stream.c:486:(_snd_pcm_usb_stream_open) Invalid type for card

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1089:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

login: IS0KYB

Hola IS0KYB, esta es EA4RCH-5 en Madrid usando DXSpider V1.55

Cluster: 462 nodes, 307 local / 6154 total users Max users 8879 Uptime 306 04:47

Por favor, introduce tu nombre con set/name <tu nombre>

Por favor introduce tu QTH, set/qth <tu qth>

Por favor introduce tu cluster habitual, set/homenode <Tu DX cluster>

IS0KYB de EA4RCH-5 13-May-2021 1845Z dxspider >

SYNC OPTIONS:

WF<>CAT False WF<>RX False CAT<>RX False

• edited May 2021

Something strange is happening when you set your kiwi to 20khz 3ch.

Your kiwi works but with wrong audio pitch, I have to detect and change the conversion ratio to sound card rate.

As soon as I fix it I'll tell you Jim.

Thanks for the report.

marco

• Hey Jim,

the code is ready and I tested it briefly on 1180 on your Kiwi, now it's HIFI :-) You can find it in the dev branch.

Apparently I didn't break anything for normal kiwis, but please let me know if you see strange stuff.

It took longer than I expected since I had to change the resampling routine.

marco

• how do I download that branch.... no way to git clone FWICT

• You just have to wait for the next release then :-D

• I grabbed it via a zip....

It ran, no audio... before I had a change to debug that, it crashed.... I'll wait

• Just intsalled 2.1... runs but no audio

• You're using an older version of Scipy apparently.

I'm using 1.6.0 here. From what I read in the official docs, the padtype argument was added in Scipy ver 1.4.0.

Always keep up to date your Python stuff with pip and avoid using the obsolete distribution packages.

marco

• edited May 2021

I just have to find 1.4 and later for Ubuntu 20.04

• remove your current scipy version installed via apt, then:

sudo apt update
    sudo apt install python3-pip
    pip install scipy 

• sorry, that just reinstalls 1.33